2 cloud photos and a cat

Started by Kadri, June 23, 2021, 10:57:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kadri

Wish i had a real camera. Took these shots with my phone.
They were of course better then they look here.

I saw the cloud formations in the second photo the first time in my life.

As i took those photos our cat was still waiting for his food :)

WAS

I think Mammatus clouds are my favorite type. Nice shots, regardless of the phone.

Dune

Wonderful clouds. The mammatus is great indeed, but usually not a good sign. Computers and thunder don't go well together :P

René

Nice clouds, and a lovely cat.  :)

cyphyr

Great shots.

I actually ditched my DSLR for a camera phone. I used to have a Cannon EOS Rebel T6 but now I just use a Pixel 4A. 

The only thing I miss is the zoom lens on the DSLR in almost every other respect the camera phone is better (and they are improving with each iteration).

I'm sure higher end DSLR's will still be able to create better shots but the expense and hassle is just not worth it for me.
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

WAS

Quote from: Dune on June 24, 2021, 01:49:53 AMWonderful clouds. The mammatus is great indeed, but usually not a good sign. Computers and thunder don't go well together

I remember being like 6 or 7 on the couch with my family watching TV, my dad was microwaving popcorn. A lightning bolt blasted through our open sliding glass door, burned a hole through the screen door, and blew up our microwave... Literally just a lightning bolt through the center of our living room, to the kitchen and struck the microwave.

Kadri

Quote from: cyphyr on June 24, 2021, 04:25:37 AMI actually ditched my DSLR for a camera phone. I used to have a Cannon EOS Rebel T6 but now I just use a Pixel 4A.
The only thing I miss is the zoom lens on the DSLR in almost every other respect the camera phone is better (and they are improving with each iteration).
I'm sure higher end DSLR's will still be able to create better shots but the expense and hassle is just not worth it for me.

I can relate even if i don't have a DSLR. What you wrote is one of the things i was kinda hesitant to buy one.
With a relative working zoom a telephone camera would be enough for me too probably. Given how better they are now.
I just have to buy a better phone next time.

Quote from: WAS on June 24, 2021, 01:05:00 PM
Quote from: Dune on June 24, 2021, 01:49:53 AMWonderful clouds. The mammatus is great indeed, but usually not a good sign. Computers and thunder don't go well together

I remember being like 6 or 7 on the couch with my family watching TV, my dad was microwaving popcorn. A lightning bolt blasted through our open sliding glass door, burned a hole through the screen door, and blew up our microwave... Literally just a lightning bolt through the center of our living room, to the kitchen and struck the microwave.

Wow! That sounds very scary and very like a movie scene.
Hard to know but maybe the microwave might have prevented a worse outcome, even if the first thought is that it was the reason the lighting bolt came there at first?

Dune

Using a DSLR has its advantages when you have 'big lenses', but even with a phone you can probably buy adapters that can be put on the phone for a bit of actual zoom. I have sometimes experimented with using my binoculars with the phone, which works pretty well, though you need three steady hands. So you need some 'adapter' to keep a lens in place.

DocCharly65

What a damn pretty cute cat! (and I think she or he knows that :) )
And great cloud shots!

WAS

Quote from: Kadri on June 25, 2021, 01:39:42 AMWow! That sounds very scary and very like a movie scene.
Hard to know but maybe the microwave might have prevented a worse outcome, even if the first thought is that it was the reason the lighting bolt came there at first?

Yeah. That's what we thought. If it was coming this way, the microwave was the best grounding point. Definitely not the TV facing all of us, or us in general.

Quote from: Dune on June 25, 2021, 01:47:39 AMUsing a DSLR has its advantages when you have 'big lenses', but even with a phone you can probably buy adapters that can be put on the phone for a bit of actual zoom. I have sometimes experimented with using my binoculars with the phone, which works pretty well, though you need three steady hands. So you need some 'adapter' to keep a lens in place.
Depends on how your sensor works. Some sensors focal makes it so they just simply can't focus through lenses, because the sensor want's to focus on the adapter. If your phone is using lasers of TOF they probably won't work.