New Adobe Substance 3D

Started by sboerner, June 25, 2021, 12:50:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sboerner

Thought about titling this "What can possibly go wrong"?

Adobe has just announced a major overhaul of Substance, pulling it into the CC universe, etc., etc. Have long anticipated and dreaded this day. For now I am waiting to install the updates.

Just wondering if anyone else has made the leap yet and what I should look out for.

WAS

I still just have Photoshop CS, CS5, and my buddies CC 2019 login. So no clue what's coming, and if 2019 is any reference, not happy. 2019 is really a POS software. Hate that I have to use it for a few specific tasks. It literally consumes 3 more GB of RAM than CS5, for nothing (no project open yet). Brushes all lag, despite turning on or off acceleration. You just can't have brushes with any soft edges or it's in slow motion and you're watching your brush strokes for the next 5 minutes despite plenty of RAM and Scratch on a M2. The experience with 2019 is like my experience with CS on 64mb of RAM. Lol

sboerner

Should have qualified my initial post, I guess. I have few complaints about Adobe software, and have been an Adobe user since Photoshop 3. (To all you whippersnappers, that's around 30 years.) I am grateful in many ways because Adobe software allowed me to run my own business as an independent contractor for 10+ years. As any former Quark XPress user can tell you, InDesign was a godsend. Nothing compares to Photoshop when it comes to just getting heavy-duty production work done. And quite honestly I believe that the invention of PostScript ranks right up there with Gutenberg's movable type. Adobe software is the industry standard, and I have no problem with that.

So this isn't about complaining about Adobe. I'm just concerned that using Substance is suddenly going to get more complicated. As with any big shift, there will be bugs and problems. I don't want to make any changes till most of that is sorted, and would like to hear from anyone who is actually making this change.

WAS

I would never consider my use of a product, and success, as something owed to a company... Also I have used Photoshop since 6, so not far behind ya, though I did dabble with Photoshop on my dads friends machine but I was so young I hardly remember other than being told I filled his hard drive with images and caused a crash when he did something. Lol

And what you are saying... is a complaint, so I'm not sure why you're dodging there. Lol. That's inherent. Other people are allowed to agree, and add their bits. CC suite is so reliant on online features, and blogging down an old framework (for the managers) that, like you said, it's very complicated, prone to bugs, crashes, and weird errors, like plugins suddenly no longer compatible even though you've used it forever, and it has never changed.

We already saw this coming in topics a year or so back about Adobe taking over, and all that.

Also just for the lols

Dune

I just use CS6 and will probably stick by it forever. No need for anything better/different. But I understand your concern about being dependent upon online changes. That's why I don't like these CC apps.
So, I can't help here.

digitalguru

I'm with Dune, I use CS6 and don't see any reason to upgrade, besides, Affinity Photo is arguably better (especially for editing 32bit heightmaps) and considerably cheaper.
Having said that, Substance has got me into lookdev/texturing over the last few years and is the mainstay in the texture department where I work.
I would love to see a proper ACES workflow for Painter, but with Adobe now fully at the helm, I wonder if that will be timely or properly implemented.