Terrafromed Mars

Started by WAS, July 03, 2021, 12:53:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WAS

Here is a Terraformed Mars. This terraformed Mars is a bit different then other peoples results, as I spent time looking at topography maps, and region maps of Mars, and planned out what biomes would actually have water. If we terraformed Mars from it's northern pole, we wouldn't have oceans or lakes on the bottom half of the planet, as it would be a desert, and water would have long dropped from clouds going over terrain before ever reaching the areas, and what little does fall isn't enough to accumulate anywhere before evaporating.

I tried to do dust  clouds and weather clouds, but I am not happy with them. I may export a spherical cloud map to composite in with more natural shapes. Though I do want to make some clouds that resemble a dead Mars too.

Big thanks to Stormlord for the Maps. I have upscaled all maps used here to 32k via AI. The texture map is extensively altered in Photoshop using isolation and painting to fix other bad areas of the texture. I also did a delit version too but not as satisfied with that result.

PS Ridiculous I can render the planet and maps in 4 minutes, but with clouds, it takes 18 hours. Come on. >.< Why can't scalars be warped without hitting the renderer like a ton of bricks?

Stormlord

Yes indeed, the clouds don't look natural.
I think the way is to create a painted cloudmap (procedural looks shitty to be honest).

But the rendered mars looks great, athough it is terraformed.
Try a real one with stratosphere and clouds Jordan.

By the way... did you render a comparison between the original 23K and your upskaled 32K Version?
Would love to see the difference...

STORMLORD

WAS

Quote from: Stormlord on July 03, 2021, 01:34:38 PMYes indeed, the clouds don't look natural.
I think the way is to create a painted cloudmap (procedural looks shitty to be honest).

But the rendered mars looks great, athough it is terraformed.
Try a real one with stratosphere and clouds Jordan.

By the way... did you render a comparison between the original 23K and your upskaled 32K Version?
Would love to see the difference...

STORMLORD

I have not done a difference though you'd likely see no difference at 2k at these distances considering scale of both textures. I'll do a comparison of a suborbital shot.

I am having issues doing a true mars atmosphere. The way colours are hard coded I can't actually do the direct and ambient colours we need. May be able to get blue borders with atmo and do reds with a haze layer masked. Too much a perfectionist for my own tastes.

WAS

Here is a much closer render between 23k and 32k. The AI certainly smoothed some of the original camera noise, but maybe a little too aggressive on actual crater details. Some look better, and some don't. But overall I like it better as the original un-doctored bumps show too much grain in what would be smooth flats from orbit.

Dune

Crazy detailed. Strange to see Mars with water bodies :o

Stormlord

Thank you for showing the difference WAS. I think it must decided from case to case which map is better.
I stick with the 23K Map (which is really great).

STORMLORD

sboerner

Cool project. Lot of work there if you hand-painted the maps. Nicely done.

WAS

Quote from: sboerner on July 04, 2021, 10:37:50 AMCool project. Lot of work there if you hand-painted the maps. Nicely done.

Thank you! Yeah it was a lot of work. Painting and masking, and selctions, etc, is all in slow motion at 32k resolution and 25gb documents. Lol

Jo Kariboo

Quote from: WAS on July 03, 2021, 12:53:47 PMHere is a Terraformed Mars. This terraformed Mars is a bit different then other peoples results, as I spent time looking at topography maps, and region maps of Mars, and planned out what biomes would actually have water. If we terraformed Mars from it's northern pole, we wouldn't have oceans or lakes on the bottom half of the planet, as it would be a desert, and water would have long dropped from clouds going over terrain before ever reaching the areas, and what little does fall isn't enough to accumulate anywhere before evaporating.

I tried to do dust  clouds and weather clouds, but I am not happy with them. I may export a spherical cloud map to composite in with more natural shapes. Though I do want to make some clouds that resemble a dead Mars too.

Big thanks to Stormlord for the Maps. I have upscaled all maps used here to 32k via AI. The texture map is extensively altered in Photoshop using isolation and painting to fix other bad areas of the texture. I also did a delit version too but not as satisfied with that result.

PS Ridiculous I can render the planet and maps in 4 minutes, but with clouds, it takes 18 hours. Come on. >.< Why can't scalars be warped without hitting the renderer like a ton of bricks?
Very interesting !

Mars with this ocean reminds me of Mahnmut's work on his excellent « Green Mars » series

https://planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,15070.30.html

WAS

Oh wow, I that's a great series. I hadn't seen that one. Wet canyons are actually pretty cool looking. I used depth to create my oceans, so the altitude didn't really fill those canyons, and getting them filled meant Olympus Muns was just a bump out of the ocean, which looked odd. Seems he took note of water drift too, and didn't fill every crater or divot of the planet away from the main oceans.

WAS

Terraformed Mars this time with natural colour mapped Mars, flat this time, and a revised vegetation area, also used AO, Edges, and Reflectivity on this one like my last Mars.

Stormlord

What a nice ozone shader example!
Very good, well done.

But what about the night-side?
Should it look only darker or is it completely black? I really don't know, but it looks to bright imo.

STORMLORD

WAS

According to Matt's new Rayleigh lighting model, it must be correct. Which I think it is. The upper atmosphere in the dark side would have access to ambient light from the twilight area I think. There is a bit of light curve with planets too (gravity).

Check out the image I attached, same lighting angle (different POV), see how there is faint light passed the terminator, I think this is realistic. It isn't absolute night here until hours after sundown.

Dune

Very nice render. The big 'scratch' almost makes me think a giant other body grazed Mars.

DocCharly65

Cool project and great results!