Genie's Lamp Speedrun

Started by WAS, July 14, 2021, 01:25:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WAS

5.8 minutes of node work, and then rendered over night. Testing how quickly I could render a foreign idea. I asked a buddy for a theme, which was "Genie's Resting Place". There were a couple of minutes just to find the lamp, otherwise it was hard to translate the idea. Added a cartoony filter for fun in Photoshop.

Slapped in my VDS shader for stone work otherwise I'd likely had to have spent a few more minutes working on a mask for the offsetting.

DocCharly65

;D cool!

And it's funny how some TG users brain work (at least mine ;D ). My first thought was "are these "Softer Voronoi Cracks by mhaze" from the NWDA store? :)

Dune

Nice idea to make something really quick. Speed challenge. But of course it would take longer if you were to build all shaders from scratch, even with knowledge at hand.
I like the stairs too, you should make a mask that has a little more worn and smooth steps! I once made one running into the side of a cliff, which is fun to do.

WAS

Quote from: Dune on July 15, 2021, 01:57:12 AMNice idea to make something really quick. Speed challenge. But of course it would take longer if you were to build all shaders from scratch, even with knowledge at hand.
I like the stairs too, you should make a mask that has a little more worn and smooth steps! I once made one running into the side of a cliff, which is fun to do.

Interesting, I used breakup on the masks, which is actually at 60% radius (wow!) but apparently the strata just defeats that effect and comes in strong. I could probably mix in two versions of the strata, and than further rough it a redirect or warping of the area. Weird I couldn't get it soft between the rock and stairs. I had breakup for displacement applied to bother the VDS surface layer and the strata surface layer. But once I saw even huge soft zone didn't do anything with the SSS I gave up. Already was over 5 minutes like I had hoped.

Quote from: DocCharly65 on July 15, 2021, 01:25:32 AM;D cool!

And it's funny how some TG users brain work (at least mine ;D ). My first thought was "are these "Softer Voronoi Cracks by mhaze" from the NWDA store? :)

I didn't realize he had one for sale. I didn't really browse all the products available too deeply before the shop was gone. This is a rather extensive shader I made (for sale on my gumroad shop) which has a several modes/features available. Still hope to figure out C++ better (haven't really touched it since high school, got lost in web dev) and attempt the SDK one day to make all these ideas plugins.

Still really want Manhattan voronoi noise flavors in TG that are optimized... :P

Dune

There should be a smooth step, that can be divided into any number of steps, for that sort of things. Probably possible in blues, but haven't tried.