Software Stability on Macbook Pro

Started by adrianlines, June 21, 2020, 08:38:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

adrianlines

Is there anything I can do to make the software more stable on a macbook pro (2018) 16gb running hi-sierra.
When it works, the application is great but it's extremely frustrating that the application crashes all the time when selecting certain functions.
I can't press the main library shortcut button at all, without it crashing, although I can access the library if I select it through objects/terrain/shaders etc.
I read there is a delay on the catalina version, will this update also address stability issues.

Matt

Hi Adrian,

I'm going to send you a link to a new build now. There was a stability issue in 4.4.44 which has been fixed in the new build, but I don't know if that's the cause of the crashes you're seeing.
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

jhmart1

I seem to be having the same problem in the last few days: the application keeps crashing for no apparent reason. Tried downloading and opening the 4.4.67 Frontier build, but the 3D preview is the size of a postage stamp and cannot be enlarged. Very frustrating. Screen Shot 2020-07-03 at 7.31.14 AM.png
Crash report attached.Crash Report 20200703.pdf

Matt

Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

focusvie

I can confirm after a rendering of 410 hours-01 minute 49s on a MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015), 2.9 ghz, intel core i5 / 16 gigs, OS 10,14,6 Mojave that the Terragen 4 software latest version is very stable on Mac intel (and my macbook pro also for not crashing for 410 hours non-stop, wow). The Terragen software did not crash once in 410 hours of really complexe 72000 x 5000 px rendering.
My only worry, I want to change my Mac this fall and Apple is removing the Intel chip to replace it with their own M1 chip.

I am told that Terragen will still work with Rosetta 2 in new Mac. Anyone have any info? Thank you !

WAS

It will of course run, but you may only see minor gain. The M1 is only slightly better than my Ryzen 2600 with a tad over a minute faster render. And Ryzen 2600 is a low-end (to barely mid range) consumer CPU which isn't really even marketed for gaming let alone workstations. Certainly faster than my 2 core 4 thread A10 APU from AMD though, so I am happy, but have always wanted to upgrade this CPU when warranty is up.

M1 is targetting mass production and lower price tag to get back on school, university, government grants. Been a long time since they have had a hold on those markets for mass set revenue at or above MSRP. My school alone back in 2001 had a grant to replace all old 80s macs with imacs, at a whopping 50k. And that was just one school. Microsoft has dominated this area since, with Chrome starting to make headroom, so Mac is trying to get on that run.