Red displacments

Started by Kadri, August 05, 2021, 04:10:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kadri

This scene was for a paid project actually.
But as i can not share that render, i made this different view to show the rock formations here.
I like the scene-POV i made for that paid project more. This doesn't work as a good image.

WAS

That's pretty wild, Kadri. How long did that take? Lol They came out pretty realistic too.

Kadri

Thanks Jordan. Takes very long. For 4k around 20 hours or so (AMD Ryzen 9 3950x) .

Dune

I like it a lot, really nice terrain! And congratulations on a paid job like this. Earth in a million years?

Even for such a processor it's a long render indeed. Probably because of the extreme displacements. PT? But don't forget any reflections. Even if a non-RT is used and it's impact is negligable, it takes so much more time.
I had one in a Roman render the other day, with some non-RT wetness in sand/gravel. Went very slow in PT. So halfway I paused it, disabled the reflective shader, and continued rendering. Went very fast after that and there's no difference to be seen in the render.
I think it would be handy to have another way of doing this in sand/gravel, get some fake shine or bluish sheen on certain angles, without TG needing to calculate real reflections. Perhaps just color and distort by normal, or so.

DocCharly65

Quote from: Dune on August 06, 2021, 01:28:22 AM...congratulations on a paid job like this. Earth in a million years?

Ähääeeem... more likely in 50-100 years  ??? ::) ;D

But anyway great render. Unbelievable good rocks and rock formations!

Kadri

Thanks guys.

Render time is indeed because of the extreme displacements. I use still an old version of Terragen so no PT.
I won't even think about using reflection or water with this scene :)

Working is hard-slow and not quite fun. With this project i saw the importance for some scenes of a fast CPU ones more.

mhaze

This is excellent and very interesting work.

mhaze

Excellent and interesting work. I find the displacements extreme but believable which is quite some feat!

Kadri

Quote from: mhaze on August 06, 2021, 02:35:11 PMExcellent and interesting work. I find the displacements extreme but believable which is quite some feat!

Thank you.

The original project is better as i said. Here is just a small crop view (it was a 8000 x 4000 spherical render).

Dune

Wonderful detail! Can you tell what it's being used for?

Kadri

Thanks Ulco. So far i know it is as a background for a smartphone app.

Dune

Ah, thanks. Maybe an app to 'phone home'... :P  It's very Marsian.

masonspappy

Wow - that last render is really something!