Onyx Tree and real leaves question

Started by EmDee1, December 13, 2007, 11:02:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EmDee1

First: I'm very pleased with the Terragen 2 release announcement :D Great news!
Then I have a question: has someone experience in working with Onyx trees?
If so: I'm trying to get a tree filled with leaves, by combining two image maps: the first one is an image of a real leaf, the second one is an alpha map of the first image.
I exported the tree in Onyx with the option "plates": flat 2D squares, that can be replaced with real leaves; I can manage it in Bryce: the-real-leaf-image goes in the diffuse chanel, the alpha map in the transparancy chanel; blending the two chanels produces a tree with "real" leaves.
In Terragen I can see the plates, the 2D squares, but I can't figure out how or where to combine the leaf image and the alpha image. One thing I tried was importing the images in the "leaf" part of the multishader that comes with the exported file, but no luck...
Maybe someone can help me out here?

Harvey Birdman

Mr. Miley is the guy to ask about Onyx, methinks, but I think I can point you in the right direction on this. You don't need to do anything special to 'combine' the images - you just need to specify them inthe right places.

Each material created in your modeling program should result in the creation of a material shader when imported into TG2. If you click the 'objects' button and select your tree inthe objects list, you'll see it's associated property sheet. Select '
Surface Shaders', click the little ellipsis button to bring up the shader property sheet and select the leaf shader. You should see a property sheet with several pages, among them 'Colour' and 'Opacity'. Enter you diffuse image file path/name into the 'Colour Image' slot on the colour tab, then click 'Opacity'. Enter the path/file name of your alpha image into the 'Opacity Image' text box, then set the check box appropriately to indicate whether the dark or light areas on your image represent transparency.

EmDee1

Yes, that worked! Thanks! After I followed your instructions, at first I only got the the right shapes of the leaves, but not with the colours from the image I used: always the diffuse colour as indicated above the colour image entrance. Then I got the idea there might be a problem with the image itself; so I saved the image again, this time not as a bmp-file but as a jpg... And then I got the leaves I wanted :D
Great; thanks again for your help!

Mohawk20

It seems .tiff files work best...

Great you got it to work!
Howgh!

EmDee1

Thanks Mohawk, I'll keep that in mind...
Nice hearing from you again; you helped me a lot early this year with some texture/color questions I had concerning a landscape I started to work on during that time.
In July I uploaded an image of it in the image sharing section of this forum.
I tried (but failed  :-\) to link you to that image, but I'm very interested in your opinion, so maybe when you've got some time left one of these days, please find the picture in the image sharing section and give me your comments.
Greetings.

EmDee1

Title of the image: Heart Break Road (Heart Break Road 2560.jpg)