Road Test

Started by mhaze, August 30, 2021, 08:58:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mhaze

My first relatively ok test of, aknight0's road program. Some problems with sizing and generating the basic files were encountered but easily overcome. Some trial error ws encountered sizing everything. One to watch out for is later displacements which played havoc with the white lines.
It would be good to have an extra large mask so that the verges could be "roughed up".
BTW don't use the included TG file out of the box - you will have to change several settings to get every thing to line up!

Dune

Pretty cool result! Nice rocky outcrops too.

mhaze

Thanks Dune, needs to be a lot more work for it to be a finished piece but I thouht I'd show progress.

aknight0

I like it!  Nice rocks, and looks like it could turn into an interesting scene!

Thanks for testing as well, I'd be interested in hearing more about the problems you ran into.  Which parts were hard to line up?  What terrain size, resolution, and mask resolution did you use?  How did you create the SVG?  When you say extra large mask, do you mean one that goes out beyond the shoulder?  You can post it in the TerraRoad thread if you want to save this one for updates on your cool picture  :)

mhaze

Yes, one that goes beyond the verges.

mhaze

Next iteration. C&C welcome.

DocCharly65

Thats WOW! Already!

The clouds in the backgroud are epic! and the landscape too!

mhaze

Dune

Great update! Maybe you could put a car or something on the road...

mhaze

Thanks, Know any good free ones?

aknight0

I like it!  I don't know if it's what you were going for, but the background almost looks like a distant city, which is very cool.  Clouds are great too.  I would almost go with a little bit less elevation smoothing on the road, which would lower the embankment in the front a bit.  I do like where it cuts through the small ridge farther on though, so it's a balance.  The tree shadow on the first bend in the road makes it look like the line has a break in it, maybe move it over a little?  There's a pretty good selection of free cars on Sketchfab.

aknight0

One other thing I've found in my experiments that helped is to put a light breakup mask on the road markings.  It makes them look more weathered, and makes the aliasing less obvious.

mhaze

Thanks, I agree the road needs more work! The shadow has already been dealt with in the next iteration. Thanks for the Sketchfab, going there now.

aknight0

You probably already know this, but a useful tip on Sketchfab is that you can download almost all the models as glTF format, import into Blender, export as obj, and then they work in Terragen.

mhaze

Aye, I found that out by accident a few months ago! I now have some cars and things from sketchfab which I've converted to .tga - now to place them!