Sci fi scene

Started by Hannes, October 19, 2021, 02:49:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dune

Neither am I, but just curious. In post you can also blur objects, you can't do that directly.

Hannes

Yes. Object motion blur for example.

WAS

Would there even be atmosphere to have any heat effect? It should just be glowing ions really visible I'd think? Similar to watching rocket engines in space. I always thought the heat effect was caused by rapidly expanding/contracting atmosphere due to heat and gasses consumed by fire.

Hannes

I think, the glowing ions are something different. The mentioned heat blur is as far as I know a similar effect (or the same?) like the flickering air you can see in a hot desert close to the horizon. Hot air. Which is of course not existing outside of the atmosphere. So, not realistic in my case, but cool. ;)

DocCharly65

Cool project, Hannes!

The heat effect in the last version looks great.
In the last months I often checked how exhausts look in Sifi movies. Very often they just use a flickering light(-source) for space views. But I like that detail of heat effect.

Dune

Well, the air/spacecraft could easily fly in an atmosphere. I like it very much anyway!

Here's a rude experiment with a smoothing filter (and a local cloud for exhaust). I agree, post blur is better ;)

Hannes

Not bad at all. But I guess I'd rather go for a slightly smooth distortion, than for just smoothing. But I like the idea.

WAS

Too bad we could set the texture space for any shader. Something like this could work from a distance: https://planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,29588.msg289948.html#msg289948