Sci fi scene

Started by Hannes, October 19, 2021, 02:49:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hannes

An eight seconds animation without any sense. I wanted to create a "look". The terrain is imported from Gaea and is rendered separately (legacy renderer). The station is rendered separately as well and so are the ships (Path tracer).

Kevin Kipper

Awesome.  Reminds me of the shots we use to do on Roughnecks: Starship Troopers Chronicles.

Hannes

Thanks, Kevin! I'm honoured. :)

WAS

Quote from: Kevin Kipper on October 19, 2021, 03:36:59 PMRoughnecks: Starship Troopers Chronicles.

That was fun for me. I was so into all the early 3D animation TV Shows, so when a Starship Troopers show came out, I was so excited. See, I wasn't allowed to watch Starship Troopers, so I had to watch it at a friends house, who had the early on-demand type services. Movie blew me away as a kid. Also boobs.

Hannes

Dune

:D

Awesome animation, Hannes! Especially the lower ship suddenly coming into view. To make this even more perfect it needs some thundering roar, and heat blur behind the exausts, and perhaps a more shuddering camera. I rendered a scene the other day where I had a fire on a plane (the glass setup), and behind the glass the detail was decreased due to a render subdiv of 0.25. That looked like heat blur (though a bit blocky), which I liked and extended in PS a bit. It would be great of you could mask a certain area and apply that sort of blur to it.

Hannes

Sounds interesting, Ulco. The scene is intended to take place outside of the atmosphere of this planet (or moon), and we all know, there is no sound in space and probably no such things like heatwaves. But there are very few sci fi movies, that don't have sound in space, because it's cool. So, who cares? ;)
Since it can probably be done in postwork, I'll try if I can get at least some sort of heat blur. I'll think about sound later... Looking forward to it.

Dune

Never thought of the absence of sound and heat blur in space, but yeah, it's cool!
So how would you go about doing that in post? You have to blur every frame? Or can that be done automatically? Curious...
The roar/hum/vibrating-sound could come from the engine the observer is sitting in (unless he's suspended in vacuum like a lonesome spaceboy), so it could be realistic after all.

Hannes

Quote from: Dune on October 20, 2021, 03:37:39 AMSo how would you go about doing that in post? You have to blur every frame? Or can that be done automatically? Curious...
I already started. I created a circular plane with a circular falloff texture for luminosity and opacity uising your glass method. In 3ds max I placed the plane directly over the thrusters and set the pivot to 0,0,0, just like the ship itself. I then only had to import the plane for every ship and copy and paste the animation settings.

I assigned a black material to the ships, disabled the terrain, GI and all lighting, and rendered out only a sequence with the white areas, where the blur will occur.
I'm planning to use this sequence as a mask for the blurred background.

Dune

Very smart! Thanks for explaining. I'm very curious what it will look like. Would be really cool if this could be done within TG in one go.

Hannes

Quote from: Dune on October 20, 2021, 05:35:48 AMWould be really cool if this could be done within TG in one go.
Actually the method you described (render subdiv. 0.25  etc.) might be a solution, but all in all I prefer the postwork option to have more control.

Jo Kariboo

The perspective effect is very impressive !

Hannes

A version with heat blur. Quite subtle, but it's there.

Dune

Oh yeah, that really does it! Terrific. Now you really see it's hot.

I wonder if it's somehow possible to use a 'shield/mask' between camare and terrain behind the burners, and a smoothing function of the terrain in TG itself. Have part of the terrain/view run trhough this 'heat shield'.

EDIT: it is, but just for terrain.

Hannes

Quote from: Dune on October 21, 2021, 02:28:51 AMI wonder if it's somehow possible to use a 'shield/mask' between camare and terrain behind the burners, and a smoothing function of the terrain in TG itself. Have part of the terrain/view run trhough this 'heat shield'.
It might be possible, but actually I'm not that much of a purist, that I need to do this in TG itself. Especially heat blur is really easy in postwork.

And you don't have to rerender the whole thing, if you don't like it.