Vivid Light Sharpening

Started by WAS, September 11, 2021, 05:14:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WAS

Thought you guys may be interested in this if you don't already use it. IMO it is better than highpass. Highpass in general is a more complicated difference based system so I can see how it looses detail, where there is no difference.

Dune

Very interesting. Thanks Jordan.

Balletdude

Interesting, I may prefer the high pass version, but I'd have to try it on my own images. Also I never desaturate my image for Highpass I just tend to apply it to the colour image. Wonder if it makes a difference

WAS

The highpass has invert colours added, which if you apply to original will change colour profiles in areas. I always hit Ctrl + Shift + U on my highpass to grayscale it.

WAS

Here is a quick example I did with his scale of 4 for exaggeration. Something to look closely at.

To me, I like VS version, there is a uniform sharpening, which I can then go in and mask out areas maybe too intense (though this example is intense on purpose to see what it's affecting). The Difference version inherently doesn't even effect areas it seems besides the tonal overlay of the grey because there is no difference, thus nothing is in the highpass in that area.