Procedural Colored Mars (almost)

Started by Ariel DK, October 20, 2021, 03:38:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ariel DK

I already posted a similar image in my other thread, but this time i want to feature only this part

All credits goes to BigBen, who builded the setup a few years ago
But the general idea was "simple":

- Take an image map and break down his color 3 times into vector values (RGB)
- Convert those vector into scalar values
- Take this scalar values and input them into a color adjust node to use him as a RGB ramp
- Use the RGB ramp into surface layers to rebuild the colors with procedural detail

Thats it, is more easy to say that replicate of course ::)
Hmmm, what version of Terragen does God use?

WAS

Give me ideas. Cause with the heightmap, you can get intersection data! Thanks for this share! Makes me inspired. This turned out excellent.

Hannes

That looks indeed fantastic. And I can't say, that I really understood what you did, but it works obviously. ;)

Ariel DK

Quote from: WAS on October 20, 2021, 07:17:46 PMGive me ideas. Cause with the heightmap, you can get intersection data! Thanks for this share! Makes me inspired. This turned out excellent.
Is supposed that with a heightmap, you can use it to mask for example, a lateral displacement, but i dont know if would work, guess also would depend of the heightmap too. i'm curious about what do you have in mind...
Hmmm, what version of Terragen does God use?

WAS

Quote from: Ariel DK on October 21, 2021, 01:37:59 PM
Quote from: WAS on October 20, 2021, 07:17:46 PMGive me ideas. Cause with the heightmap, you can get intersection data! Thanks for this share! Makes me inspired. This turned out excellent.
Is supposed that with a heightmap, you can use it to mask for example, a lateral displacement, but i dont know if would work, guess also would depend of the heightmap too. i'm curious about what do you have in mind...

A tiny amount of lateral with heightmaps in some instances can actually look more realistic. Like for river stones or something. Accents the 3D effect more than just a Normal effect.

DocCharly65

Quote from: Hannes on October 21, 2021, 05:15:17 AMThat looks indeed fantastic. And I can't say, that I really understood what you did, but it works obviously. ;)
I couldn't say it better ;D

Anyway a really great view of the planet. Great render!