Another sci fi scene...

Started by Hannes, October 27, 2021, 02:12:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hannes

I improved the station model (actually a kitbashing mix of a free model and some others). I triplicated some parts and added some more stuff and finally animated them. The most work was the texturing, because nothing was textured and most of the stuff had no UVs.
The clip is quite blurry, due to the compression, but I doubt it would look better on Vimeo for example. Have fun!

Dune

Very impressive! Often you don't 'see' size of stuff floating through the universe, because there's no reference, but in your animation I do get the feeling that it's an enormous thing.

Hannes

Thanks a lot, Ulco. That was my intention. :)

DocCharly65

I absolutely agree with Ulco. Epic ship!

I like very much the darkness of the shadows. In my space shots I usually get too much light on not lit areas due to GI caching. I'll need more practise  ::) :)

Only thing I personally would play with are the engine exhausts. I have no reference but I fell they could look better less opaque. What do you think?

Hannes

Quote from: DocCharly65 on October 27, 2021, 02:57:50 AMlike very much the darkness of the shadows. In my space shots I usually get t
Usually I disable the atmosphere for space shots. Might be helpful. And I used the path tracer. As long as I don't have any atmosphere or clouds, I don't have to cache GI.

Quote from: DocCharly65 on October 27, 2021, 02:57:50 AMOnly thing I personally would play with are the engine exhausts. I have no reference but I fell they could look better less opaque. What do you think?
You're right. I tried lowering the opacity in AE, but it didn't look good. Maybe I'll try some things...

Edit: It seems I didn't quote the whole sentence, but I'm sure you know what you wrote... ;)

Kadri

Looks good Hannes.
The compression artefacts are unfortunate. Did you slowed it down too a bit in post?

Hannes

OK, I created a new opacity mask for the exhaust, and I think, it looks indeed better. This time I decided to use OneDrive, so that you can see it in original quality, if you download it. It's 20MB, so it shouldn't take too long.
https://1drv.ms/v/s!AtnRmTmShWY0atSQeMW7snrqKNA

Kadri, no, I didn't slow it down. It's the original speed.

Kadri

Quote from: Hannes on October 27, 2021, 06:57:12 AMOK, I created a new opacity mask for the exhaust, and I think, it looks indeed better. This time I decided to use OneDrive, so that you can see it in original quality, if you download it. It's 20MB, so it shouldn't take too long.
https://1drv.ms/v/s!AtnRmTmShWY0atSQeMW7snrqKNA

Kadri, no, I didn't slow it down. It's the original speed.

Thanks. The quality is much better. Nice.

Dune

Awesome again. Perhaps the size of the thing is also clearer because of the slow turning of the large 'wheels'.

Hannes

Jo Kariboo

Really well it looks like the intro of a movie in the cinema!

DocCharly65

Much better film quality and the exhausts look better too! Good work!