Mt. St. Helen

Started by pixelpusher636, October 31, 2021, 12:48:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pixelpusher636

I've been working on a chronology series of the before and after eruption. Here are a few after. Still working on pre May, 1980 eruption terrain data.
The more I use Terragen, the more I realize the world is not so small.

pixelpusher636

WAS

Very nice! The snow work looks really well done. Is that provided by maps or is it by slopes/intersections?

Though I would like to point out then lower slopes and surrounding terrain of Mt. St Helens has very little tree cover. Few patches of slow growing trees due to the soil quality. The forests have been erased, replaced with shrub and grassland.

Dune

Good work on these! Nice to see some big renders here as well.

Hannes

Wow, great! These are very natural renderings.

DocCharly65

Really extremely natural and authentic (I don't know the real view :) )

pixelpusher636

Thanks for the comments folks!
WAS I do realize that the forests were decimated. I should have named it 100 years later. 😀 

The snow is completely procedural, no image maps. The terrain being a 1 Meter DEM made the snow shader really easy to work with and conform to the terrain naturally with all the detail. I cannot say the same for the pre eruption terrain. I have the features looking much better and recognizable at least but getting snow to conform naturally is a struggle. 

Thanks again for the nice comments. I will post a render of the pre May 1980 render when I'm further along.

WAS

Which pre-eruption DEM are you using? I think the issue with those dems is the slices of elevation data have gaps between them, and when stitched it just fades between them, so the mountain has odd lateral terracing effects that aren't real. I think I was able go make one look a bit better with daniil's erosion.

pixelpusher636

Quote from: WAS on October 31, 2021, 01:57:56 PMWhich pre-eruption DEM are you using? I think the issue with those dems is the slices of elevation data have gaps between them, and when stitched it just fades between them, so the mountain has odd lateral terracing effects that aren't real. I think I was able go make one look a bit better with daniil's erosion.
WAS that is exactly the issue. I have been tweaking the mountain with Classic Erosion, very subtly to try and erode the lateral ridges while trying to keep the features (which are barely there) intact. I'll post a barebones example of what I'm working with. I cannot believe finding a decent dem of this time is so hard. I know a much better one is out there I have seen greyscale and hill shade.

pixelpusher636

It says May 16, 1980 LIDAR but looking closer it does have some of those lateral ridges but this is much better quality with more details than what I have. 
https://www.flickr.com/photos/rosenow_photography/51609568270/

pixelpusher636

This is what I'm trying to work with.

WAS

Oh that does look pretty nice. Not that one I am using I don't think. I have a project I wanted yo animate, from pre-eruption to post-eruption. Never got around to it, but may have a go. My issue is making the lower quality old dem to match the new one.

But I see he updated his pre eruption dem and it seems to be a mix of post and pre so quality is much better. He didn't update the image but the file is newer and better quality: http://gis.ess.washington.edu/data/raster/thirtymeter/mtsthelens/index.html

pixelpusher636

Quote from: WAS on October 31, 2021, 02:47:41 PMOh that does look pretty nice. Not that one I am using I don't think. I have a project I wanted yo animate, from pre-eruption to post-eruption. Never got around to it, but may have a go. My issue is making the lower quality old dem to match the new one.

But I see he updated his pre eruption dem and it seems to be a mix of post and pre so quality is much better. He didn't update the image but the file is newer and better quality: http://gis.ess.washington.edu/data/raster/thirtymeter/mtsthelens/index.html
That is indeed the data I'm working with from your link. I seen a nice quality from a student at university that was able to track down the camera make and corresponding details from the aerial images shot days before the eruption. He compiled a nice terrain with Structure from Motion. 

I would LOVE to see you animate the your pre to post animation when you finish. I had a similar idea but I'm nowhere near there yet with my knowledge of TG. 😀

WAS

My issue so far is getting daniil's plugin to play nicely. Currently it seems no matter how low I go on down cutting, it still wants to really cut deep into the mountain. I just want it to a accent what smaller detail erosion would be missing from detail. I may actually have to use a series of erosions and masks used as intensity to defeat my issue.