Blazing red clouds...?

Started by Elegy, December 15, 2007, 07:57:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elegy

How do I make the parts of my clouds that face the sun blaze red and orange like in this picture? http://www.zenhaiku.com/archives/sunset_in_new_mexico_background_picture.html

I'm creating a sunset picture at the moment and even though the sky is red and orange, the thick cumulus clouds I've created are all pure gray. There isn't even a hint of redness on them.

JimB

The link to the photo you posted comes up with '403-Forbidden', so I can't see it.

As a guess, have you tried changing the cloud 'Scattering Colour' to red?
Some bits and bobs
The Galileo Fallacy, 'Argumentum ad Galileus':
"They laughed at Galileo. They're laughing at me. Therefore I am the next Galileo."

Nope. Galileo was right for the simpler reason that he was right.

Elegy

Oops, I've changed the link. Hopefully it should work now. I'll try that, thank you.

Kevin F

Quote from: Elegy on December 15, 2007, 08:12:14 AM
Oops, I've changed the link. Hopefully it should work now. I'll try that, thank you.

nope still get
"Forbidden
You don't have permission to access /images/sunset-1024.jpg on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.
Apache/1.3.39 Server at www.zenhaiku.com Port 80"

Elegy

Well, hopefully it'll work now. I forgot to modify the link address, I only modified the link name.

JimB

I can see the photo now. Try upping the 'Redsky Decay' setting under your Atmosphere, or upping the 'Bluesky Density'.
Some bits and bobs
"They laughed at Galileo. They're laughing at me. Therefore I am the next Galileo."

Elegy

Quote from: JimB on December 15, 2007, 08:56:26 AM
I can see the photo now. Try upping the 'Redsky Decay' setting under your Atmosphere, or upping the 'Bluesky Density'.

That doesn't seem to be working. The whole image looks redder but the clouds aren't blazing at all. Changing the scattering colour didn't produce any noticeable difference either.

JimB

What about the Glow Power settings in the clouds lighting?
Some bits and bobs

Elegy

Quote from: JimB on December 15, 2007, 09:16:26 AM
What about the Glow Power settings in the clouds lighting?

Nothing unfortunately. Would anyone who has made a picture with the blaze effect please share the settings you used?

Will

I might have something from awhile ago, I'll take a look and see what I dig up.
The world is round... so you have to use spherical projection.

Mohawk20

It has to do with sun position and cloud height...

Problem is, last time I made it work, I had to place a second sun below the horizon to get the right angle...
Howgh!

JimB

Quote from: Mohawk20 on December 15, 2007, 01:30:55 PM
It has to do with sun position and cloud height...

Problem is, last time I made it work, I had to place a second sun below the horizon to get the right angle...
ROFL! Looking at the photo in the first post.... Q: Where's the Sun?  A: Below the horizon.   ;D
Some bits and bobs

Elegy

I'll try playing with a second sun and see if that makes a difference. I already tried lowering the default sun below the horizon and it didn't help, but maybe two will.

Matt

With the default atmosphere and one cumulus cloud layer preset, putting the sun elevation at 0 gives the right sort of hue, but when the sun is close to the horizon the biggest obstacle to this effect is other clouds (which might not be visible) casting shadows onto the clouds which you want to glow.

There are ways to remove very distant clouds (perhaps using the Distance shader), but a simple way to solve the problem is to experiment with slightly different sunlight headings until you find a clear pathway from the sun to the clouds you want to illuminate.

You also need to render high detail areas (perhaps with the crop feature) to really test this well (notice in the photograph how the glowing edges of the thick clouds are very thin). If you reduce the density of the clouds it becomes easier to see the glow effect on more of the clouds.

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

Elegy

Unfortunately, I have absolutely no idea how to use shaders. How would I attach a distance shader to the clouds to get rid of distant ones?