The Moon Of Machines

Started by DocCharly65, November 05, 2021, 06:29:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DocCharly65

Just finished one animation (the city) and already the next one on the workbench.

Step by step I finish some stuff, I started some years ago.
At the moment I am working some new details and improvements on the Moon Of Machines.
The last weeks I could refine the Valkyries transormation into chrome a little bit... and her eyes glow now in chrome-plated condition.
The T800 Terminators got a little bit better texture.
Also I deleted that annoying disgusting mommy's boy Justin... 
Instead of that I added JUDGE DAD ;D

Zwischenablage-1.jpg

Judge Dad will comment everything, anybody says with "I knew she/he'd say that" and comment everything what happens with "I knew that'd happen"
He will not transform to chrome-plated condition:

But he'll drive one of those big Mech Warriors... Therefore he has to put on his helmet:

The Mech Warrior including the animated Sly Stallone model was a big challenge because the conversion of the original maya file into blender of the Robot and then creating the obj sequence for TG wasn't that easy. But I think it's ok... 

Some 3D model credits:

Judge Dredd Helmet by Mechano on Turbossquid
Judge Dredd 3D model by Lurisay on Turbossquid
Sylvester Stallone 3D model by PrintedReality on CGTrader

All these combined in Blender3D and animated with MIXAMO

The new Robot: robot de mech 3D animated model by omg3d on CGTrader

The Robot/Judge Dredd combination is a 90 x 152MB Object sequence (so my HDDs a quite full now ;D )

Hannes

Incredibly cool!! One thing that came into my mind is, the valkyrie's legs are quite glossy right before she transforms to chrome. One could say, all this is quite exhausting, and she's just sweating, but to my taste it would look great, if you'd apply a subsurface scattering shader to her skin, not too shiny, just a silky little bit, and then transform her into this cold chrome material.

DocCharly65

Thanks Hannes.

Ok I could try. But it will be a long way. It's just been today that most of you mean SSS as SubSurfaceScattering and NOT SimpleShapeShader as I often thought ;D
My SSS skills are zero... better -9.999 if you want so ;)

My basics from what I read so far: we use a glass shader and do some special settings on the Sub-surface-Tab
All this rendered with the Pathtracer.

I've seen that the wiki is updated.

Last hurdle: I was stuck at 4.40.67 and as I saw, reflections in the PT didn't work properly there:
Zwischenablage-1.jpg

So I did it - klicked on the purchase button for a new Perpetual License for TG4 (I need this version for the 5 additional render licences)

I'll check at home if the shopping tour worked and then upgrade all PCs
...and then back to school... :)

Hannes

Quote from: DocCharly65 on November 05, 2021, 09:12:11 AMMy basics from what I read so far: we use a glass shader and do some special settings on the Sub-surface-Tab
Actually it's not that complicated. I shared a PT subsurface scattering shader setup for human skin in the file sharing section:

https://planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,27382.0.html
(Human skin is in part two)

You'd just have to import the appropriate clipfile, add your textures, and you're done.

DocCharly65

Thanks Hannes :)

I had already fou7nd that and downloaded an hour ago... good to have had the right instinct :)

On suggestion would be helpful: My (human) skins usually always look like this:

Zwischenablage-8.jpg

My instinctively options to integrate your tgc are:

A: top down as a reflectivity function of the skin shader
Zwischenablage-3.jpg

B1: replace my reflecticity shade this way:
Zwischenablage-5.jpg

B2: replace my reflecticity shade this way:
Zwischenablage-7.jpg

Is one of my ideas the correct way?

DocCharly65

Thanks again for your idea and the hint to your tgc's.

I'll do some experiments on weekend. Now it's time for an office meeting. (one of the positive ones - boss wants to give me a new business car... but I guess I'll have to clean and do more like this about the old car ;D )

Hannes

Quote from: DocCharly65 on November 05, 2021, 10:18:53 AMIs one of my ideas the correct way?
Actually not really.

Just replace your shader completely by my setup and feed the IMSs (Image Map Shader) with the appropriate textures. As far as I remember the IMSs are already set to "Object UV (if available)". If not, do so.
You can either use the reflectivity of the glass shader for an overall reflectivity or use the "specular carrier" with a masked reflective shader.
All in all you basically need only the "IMS Diffuse/SSS Skin/SSS Carrier"-portion for subsurface scattering. The rest is for more controlled reflectivity and for bump if needed.

Hannes

...and don't forget, the settings are made for real scale models. If your models are larger or smaller, you'll have to adjust the glass shader's decay distance.
(It's always good to rescale models to real scale before importing them into TG, to avoid unwanted extra work, but I'm sure, you know that! ;) )

DocCharly65

Meeting over - new car the same type as the old one - good! So I need no manual for the windshield wipers ...  ;D

Thanks for the info Hannes - I really forgot the Image Map Shader or have overseen it. I usually use it for my animated monitors or things like that to control the luminosity function input.

Dune

Terrific animations. They really look fine to me. But I agree with Hannes about the 'plastic' legs. If SSS won't work properly, I'd just tone that reflection down, and perhaps add some drops running down  8)

DocCharly65

Thanks Ulco :)

I will look after the plastic legs, when I have installed the new TG version. but I must wait a bit untill I have finished many already started animations. Carefully reduce the reflectivity is plausible possibility but anyway I should learn the SSS feature so why not do both: Increase the quality / look of the skin AND learn something new? In my obsession with the film, I've been trapped in unchanged knowledge of TG for too long anyway.

DocCharly65

The first tests are running. Not very successful.

After inserting the tgc I added the IMS Diffuse image, the IMS Specular mask image and the IMS Bump image. I got just black legs --- a beautiful very black Black - but black ;D

Zwischenablage-5.jpg

On the rectangles to the right side of the shader-trees you can see that there's in fact no color-input anywhere

Fortunately I remembered one little thing from earlier experiments with image map shaders: Activate repeat X and Y:
Now I get a kind of input on all 3 shaders Diffuse, Specular mask and Bump but only the specular seems to work on the render result...

Zwischenablage-6.jpg

Still a long way to go....  I will continue to report

WAS

The decay distance is very, very important, and has to be tweaked to the right scale for different objects. Right now it's too high, so the depth is outside the object, creating just black as what would be receiving a density look isn't there mesh wise based on the scale.

DocCharly65

Thanks very much Jordan. You cut the time spent on my experiments a lot.
I'm a little proud that I was on the right way already but at that moment exactly in the wrong direction ;D I increased the decay distance instead of making it smaller.
I already had tried some settings of the "color-tab" if the IMS Diffuse shader. 

The results were better but still bad.
Now the first result I can base the next steps on:
Decay divided by 100 (my model is live-size *10 so it seems the number needs to be changed with the potential function) + Multiply RGB by 3

211106_2236.jpg

Next steps are first increasing the AA to really see how the skin looks like.
Then perhaps playing around with the IMS Specular ... and then we'll see what a 1280x720 render with an AA up to - I guess 8 or higher has render time.

DocCharly65

Ok that seems to work in fact and the result looks really not bad...
But even AA 5 looks grainy - so far rendertime 1h33min.
I am a little afraid what will happen if I enable DoF and increase the resolutionm to 1280x720.

211107_0033.jpg

At the moment a renderjob is running with increased reflectivity and AA 7.
Depending on that result I'll perhaps do a hard decision about that fan film project, what I'm already some months thinking about for some months.