Some recent tests

Started by Dune, November 13, 2021, 02:30:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dune

The test with the dunes will hopefully be followed up. I'm trying to make a setup for procedural parabolic dunes, where one end is low and sand is scooped out by wind and deposited at the other, downwind end, covering trees as it 'moves'. The voronoi and subvoronoi is an attempt to make the raised bogs found in Estonia and Siberia.
The crater one started out as a test for the parabolic dunes, but they turned into craters at one point and I thought, well, let's add some stuff.

Hannes

Wow!!!! They all look incredibly good, but the smoke columns blew me away!!! How did you do those. Was there already some kind of how to?

Dune

The smoke columns are simply derived from the voronoi I used for the craters. Use 1 octave PF voronoi to get some intial white 'dots', stretch Y, make craters by some color adjust and displacement mix, and lead a line to the cloud, use another color adjust to manage its diameter. Warp that cloud line over XZ.

I added some refinements, like a min altitude for a soft cloud and a max altitude for the harder cloud, and altitude restraints for the amount, direction and size of warp, but those are optional.

Hannes

Thanks a lot for the explanation, Ulco! Definitely something to share I'd say... ;)

Lady of the Lake

I like the raised bog test.  Very realistic.

WAS

Really cool stuff here. I too really like that bog.

pixelpusher636

Those look fantastic! Really like the first image and the last.
The more I use Terragen, the more I realize the world is not so small.

Dune

Thanks all. Actually, the bog render is not the reality like in real raised bogs. It should have a voronoi structure. The voronoi billowy areas are sphagnum mosses growing into cussions, and the ridges are quite narrow and have trees and shrub. In the centers of the billowy parts there can be 'collapsed' lakes and pools. The one with the horses has that structure, but you can't really see that from low.

WAS

Quote from: Dune on November 14, 2021, 01:58:30 AMActually, the bog render is not the reality like in real raised bogs. It should have a voronoi structure.

That's what I'm trying to do now. Unfortunately the voronoi diff noise has weird areas I can't get with the soft maximum. Soft minimum works fine. Same for billows PF, it unfortunately has edges above 0 that I can't smooth, no matter the noise settings I try under tweak noise setting, even clamped or unclamped. Kinda sad.

Dune

You better use the PF for voronoi. That can be smoothed. But it's a pity the blues can't be smoothed indeed. And the problem with PF is that you can't get nice edges all around, like with the dif.
I ended up drawing a mask for voronoi shapes and another for the boundaries, with some extra precision.

WAS

I tried painting one but not going well with my mouse. I cant do my art pad cause its 4:3 and my computer is ultrawide. Can't seem to change to any standard resolutions, but games can.

Sooo screw this. Spent 2 hours figuring out how to UV map procedural noise (so it's perfectly seamless on a plane), and spent another hour baking the F1 Smooth voronoi from Blender. Works great so far.

These may help in future projects, Ulco: https://planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,29647.msg290540.html

Dune

Thanks Jordan, I found them.

mhaze

Terrific - that smake is superb!