Sun through a mountain

Started by paulcurtis, November 24, 2021, 01:05:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paulcurtis

Hi,

Literally just bought terragen and this could be a stupid question.

Warning over. I am just rendering some 360 spherical stuff based on the default template, animating the sun rising over the mountains but i am looking at what looks like the sun in front of said mountain. Image enclosed.

I assume it's me. The animation is still rendering but what have i missed? Is this bloom or the disc but even so realistically it shouldn't be there, right?

Thanks in advance
Paul

Hannes

Hi and welcome to the forum!!
This is probably one of the first issues people encounter, when they start to work with TG.
Just check "Receive shadows from surfaces" in the atmosphere's quality tab. You'll have to do the same in your cloud's quality tab, if you're planning to add some.
Rendertimes might be a little longer.

WAS

Quote from: Hannes on November 24, 2021, 01:20:37 PMRendertimes might be a little longer.

For me they're over doubled by two seconds. For example, this scene for me is 42s without receive shadows, and 1:28 with receive shadows. Sucks when it's a large scene. Also seems like in most cases it's only really blocking the sun with the terrain and doing nothing else visibly to the scene. I wonder if things could be optimized better.

Dune

If it's still it's easier to leave it default and just render a crop with shadows of objects enabled and paste over. But for animations that would be more work than letting it chugg along.
Render increase has come down in the latest builds, however. It used to be much longer.

paulcurtis

Thanks everyone, that was the checkbox i was missing.

My aim will be rendering very high res 360s so i will look into whether i can have part of the animation checked and not checked. Depends how much it affects the rest of the render i guess.

Right now i'm just poking around testing things and wrapping my head around it all

Much appreciated
Paul