Gaseous Planet

Started by Stormlord, December 13, 2021, 03:25:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stormlord

Rendering a Sci-Fi styled icy gaseous giant in blue/green colour bands.
The image is a composing of the planet and its stratosphere, simply to gain more control over the final colours in each component.
I tried to get a nice balance here to receive a harmonic result.

The secound rendering is a picture which can be probabaly seen from outher space while approachig this gas giant.

Giant Telema by Dirk Kipper.jpg
Gas Planet

Sci-Fi Gas Planet by Dirk Kipper.jpg
Approaching Telema

Facts about Telema
Methane, dominant at around 100 Kelvin producing bright cyan-aquamarine colors. They can be seen in the middle-bands of the planet.
At the poles are more icy crystals in the upper atmosphere dominant. This results in more bluish colours at the poles where these crystals are located.
The axis of the planet is 12.0 degrees tilted.

STORMLORD

WAS

Great results. I like the colours. Gives a good mood.  I have found for my VFDIM size of 8k and resolution of 4k that 64 - 128 million particles works well to keep the results dense without the absence of particles.

Dune

Would be cool if this could be done procedurally inside TG. Nice challenge, guys!

WAS

Quote from: Dune on December 14, 2021, 03:01:35 AMWould be cool if this could be done procedurally inside TG. Nice challenge, guys!

Some sort of global curly noise velocity setting would be awesome. Could easily give a planet weather patterns to its v2 clouds. This isn't even true fluid simulation, just particle simulation with curly noise pushing it with velocity. The simulations take a bit of time, but the results are so well worth it.

Hannes

WAS

It really would. Honestly thinking about it, we don't even need the particle simulation. Just the velocity field calculated for the planet location, and than use the generated curly noise to push/pull on XYZ accordingly.

Gaseous Giganticus has a broken setting for exporting the velocity map as a RGB map, this could be used in TG as a warper. But it's currently broken.

Dune

;D Something should be possible, this is just a 5 minute try.

Jo Kariboo

Thanks again Ulco for sharing the file. I had fun making some images with your file.

Dune

WAS

It looks nice, but immediately is just XYZ push/pulling creating sinusoidal shapes. Curly noise is very different, and so is velocity effect. True weather patterns will look very different. Think of this sort of warping as smearing, rather than flowing.

Stormlord

Yes, you're right.... what we need here is more curling than just pushing!
If you're looking at Jupiters atmosphere, there is much more swirling, curling, movement and violent turbulences in the air (gas).

STORMLORD

WAS

I wish I knew more about C/Perl, seems like this is something that could actually be ported to a TG plugin.

Dune

Of course, I never said it would be easy ;)  But I have another idea...........

Stormlord

Another idea, well, sounds good Ulco.
I'm always interested in new ways to create maps like the one for my gaseous giant.

I've also found a nice NASA Server where you can download all kind of Maps regarding the atmosphere, unfortunately only in 3600x1800.
But you can use those to create your own maps. This is the best way, because they represent true and realistic flows of aerosol or particles in liquid.

Link NASA Server.jpg
https://neo.gsfc.nasa.gov/

I used some maps from here to create turbulences in the clouds and also the oceans in my own 42K earth map.
Please allow me to share a screenshot here as an example...

Aerosole.jpg
Example layer for turbulences (air/liquid)

STORMLORD

WAS

I have also been using photos of clouds I've been taking to use as input for GG.