Maxon buys ZBrush

Started by René, December 14, 2021, 11:58:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nala1977

yeah thats the new Autodesk...i dont know how good this is

KlausK

I don`t think you can say that.
First, they don`t aquire as agressivly as AD, second, they do not have the habit of letting bought technology disappear.
On the contrary, I`d say. Redshift and Red Giant are getting meaningful updates fast and often.
Nothing like Autodesk - even with their own top products.

The only thing I "fear" is that the days of free updates will be gone and they sooner or later move on to subscription only. We`ll see...

CHeers, Klaus
/ ASUS WS Mainboard / Dual XEON E5-2640v3 / 64GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 TI / Win7 Ultimate . . . still (||-:-||)

Nala1977

Quote from: KlausK on December 15, 2021, 05:25:44 AMI don`t think you can say that.
First, they don`t aquire as agressivly as AD, second, they do not have the habit of letting bought technology disappear.
On the contrary, I`d say. Redshift and Red Giant are getting meaningful updates fast and often.
Nothing like Autodesk - even with their own top products.

The only thing I "fear" is that the days of free updates will be gone and they sooner or later move on to subscription only. We`ll see...

CHeers, Klaus
the problem is just the subscription model, not the development

KlausK

yeah, I too do not like that. But it seems, everybody is going that route sooner or later.

CHeers, Klaus
/ ASUS WS Mainboard / Dual XEON E5-2640v3 / 64GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 TI / Win7 Ultimate . . . still (||-:-||)

WAS

Maxon has been king of complicated Geometry since I was a kid, so it's kinda cool seeing them with zbrush. Back in the day there was no other program that could do such crazy geometry or 4th dimensional formula shapes..

D.A. Bentley (SuddenPlanet)

Yea, I see free upgrades going away too.  I got my money's worth though.  I bought ZBrush back in 2004 for $498.95 and just installed the free upgrade to 2022.0.2 today.

3D-Coat hopefully stays Perpetual Licensed for a long time to come.  I quite like it, but havn't had a chance to dig deep into it yet.  Just used for AutoRetopo.

Derek