Plumpton Rocks

Started by pixelpusher636, December 23, 2021, 05:50:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pixelpusher636

I've done a deep dive through the forums today with no luck of finding a way of Displacing rock in the way of the attached. Plenty of examples and ways for long vertical displacements etc.

Am I wrong in think this can't yet be done, or rather just has not been done?
The more I use Terragen, the more I realize the world is not so small.

WAS

Sure, this is definitely possible. People have certainly done similar, at least that I am aware.

pixelpusher636

Quote from: WAS on December 23, 2021, 08:42:44 PMSure, this is definitely possible. People have certainly done similar, at least that I am aware.
I totally believe it is. I haven't found any close in the forum. The attached image is as close as I've been able to get which is a far cry from the real deal. I used your cracks & tension fracture shader awhile back for the cliffs tutorial on terratuts. Thought I might try and bend it to my will (laugh, laugh) and use it to create the horizontal fractures. I was denied the simple pleasure it provides when used properly. 

I will do some more digging.

WAS

Take a look at this elaborate I-don't-know I doodled.

pixelpusher636

WAS you're always shining!

I've managed to get the cracks worked out on Mia own but everything is still not right. Figured I'd continue on in the morning. Only to stop off here and find a huge help waiting. I won't look until tomorrow but if I know you I will be close to the goal! I've been at this for hours, I think you are on Pacific time so 2 hours behind me. In any event.. I'm tired and can rest easier knowing this will likely be solved tomorrow. Thank you as always! 

Starting to feel guilty for leaning on the community so much which btw translates to the most helpful- you. I need to start thinking of ways to give back. Not sure how you would benefit considering I have no knowledge or data that you couldn't source on your own. Tricky situation indeed. 🤨

Dune

I haven't seen what Jordan posted, but rocks like this can also be made by using the displaceble cubes (or spheres, but in this case I'd use cubes). Just stack a few and use horizontally XZ stretched noise to displace. You can tilt those horizontal cracks a bit by rotating through transform shader for each block, e.g.

And regarding 'paying back'; it's always like that, early on you're dependent upon more knowledgeable users, years later you might know the answers to questions by novices and start helping out. Or find something interesting and new to share.

pixelpusher636

Quote from: WAS on December 24, 2021, 01:10:09 AMTake a look at this elaborate I-don't-know I doodled.
Uh, yeah. That is a fantastic "doodle" extremely impressive what you did! A shear beast to render which might explain why you don't see these types of outcrops? Or no one ever tried and succeeded. It's dead on so far as the smooth outcrops at Plumpton. I'm definitely getting to the bottom of how you did the horizontal cracks. The ones I finally succeeded with didn't look that natural.

Pretty fantastic how you rigged the algae and leaf debris on the water. This is another great teaching file with multiple lessons within it. Thanks for your help WAS.

pixelpusher636

Quote from: Dune on December 24, 2021, 02:37:09 AMI haven't seen what Jordan posted, but rocks like this can also be made by using the displaceble cubes (or spheres, but in this case I'd use cubes). Just stack a few and use horizontally XZ stretched noise to displace. You can tilt those horizontal cracks a bit by rotating through transform shader for each block, e.g.

And regarding 'paying back'; it's always like that, early on you're dependent upon more knowledgeable users, years later you might know the answers to questions by novices and start helping out. Or find something interesting and new to share.
Dune thank you for saying that. It really does make you feel like just a taker, never having anything to offer back to the helpful people on here. As you say I will return the generosity one day by being helpful. 

As for the rock, that's an interesting approach you mentioned with stacking displaceable cubes and stretching. I hadn't thought of that! Jordan did a pretty fantastic job with his share. Lots to learn from it. I'll post the initial (small) test render. How exactly he did it remains to be fully studied. No displaced cubes but an orchestra of nodes working in unison.

D.A. Bentley (SuddenPlanet)

WAS

I initially made my demonstration with voronoi diff scalar, but realized I was going the blue node path which is not friendly with new users to TG. lol

PS I have an extensive voronoi shader for sale which can do all sorts of stuff: https://was.gumroad.com/l/efXxt

pixelpusher636

Quote from: WAS on December 24, 2021, 04:22:00 PMI initially made my demonstration with voronoi diff scalar, but realized I was going the blue node path which is not friendly with new users to TG. lol

PS I have an extensive voronoi shader for sale which can do all sorts of stuff: https://was.gumroad.com/l/efXxt
That looks amazing! Lots of blue nodes in this shader but easy to implement in a project? This is definitely on the menu after the holiday. Thanks for sharing the link. 

looks like I've found a way to return the favor and gather some great TG assists. 😀

WAS

Quote from: pixelpusher636 on December 25, 2021, 11:19:24 AM
Quote from: WAS on December 24, 2021, 04:22:00 PMI initially made my demonstration with voronoi diff scalar, but realized I was going the blue node path which is not friendly with new users to TG. lol

That looks amazing! Lots of blue nodes in this shader but easy to implement in a project? This is definitely on the menu after the holiday. Thanks for sharing the link.

looks like I've found a way to return the favor and gather some great TG assists. 😀

Yeah, it's all packed into a surface layer, so after your Compute Terrain, or Compute Normal it can be applied (if you want lateral displacement, if not it can be in the terrain pipeline). The scale is a vector input so easy to set up strata like scales with something like 2000, 100, 2000.