Masked Light Source Object

Started by WAS, December 25, 2021, 01:57:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WAS

I know I talked about adding light source masks before but something a little more rudimentary; is it possible to be able to mask the light source visible object with say a spherical image (say a equirectangular moon map) and the light/dark of said image just play with the lum of the sphere? Thinking it would be easy to create a moon this way and not have the weird glowing spot of a object with no shadow for a moon and light source behind it. Maybe I am wrong in thinking that though? 🤔

Dune

That would need to be implemented in the codes of TG itself, I'd say.
But this would essentially be the same, using the luminosity (or in this case translucency) of a sphere/planet and a light source at same location (with luminosity you don't even need the light source, but then you can't have the glow). You can either turn off or on the atmo of the planet, or use the lightsource's glow  itself. But perhaps I don't understand what you mean by a 'weird glowing object with no shadow...'

WAS

That is nice, but I want to be able to use the moon as a light source, cause if you do put a light source in there or behind it, there will be a solid glow spot in the center of the planet from the light on moon/planet atmosphere.

WAS

I tried making a lit sphere with the light source, but apparently it just breaks when you make it too big?

WAS

Seems light sources are now just disappearing when too far from the camera, even 1e+06 from camera is too far, apparently. They just vanish. No effect (source radius, light distance, and intensity do nothing. Nothing there at all). Looks like another new introduced bug from stuff seemingly not touched.

Dune

I see. But of course the moon itself isn't a light source, so you probably want it for other purposes?

Dune

It does work for me.

Hannes

Quote from: WAS on December 25, 2021, 12:03:57 PMSeems light sources are now just disappearing when too far from the camera, even 1e+06 from camera is too far, apparently.
Could it be the same issue I recently had? Maybe the lightsource is behind the background sphere?

WAS

Quote from: Hannes on December 26, 2021, 03:37:42 AM
Quote from: WAS on December 25, 2021, 12:03:57 PMSeems light sources are now just disappearing when too far from the camera, even 1e+06 from camera is too far, apparently.
Could it be the same issue I recently had? Maybe the lightsource is behind the background sphere?
I made sure it wasn't that far out, such as using location of existing moon, and closer.

I'll have to try that file in the morning.

Hannes

I just had the idea, because in my case the planet showed up correctly in the preview, but wasn't rendered. I made a small test render with the disabled background, and voilĂ , there it was.

Dune

I just copied the location from the background for this light source. In principle it should then be half in half out (if it's a sphere, and perhaps even goes 'out' a bit when it's a flat circle), but apparently it works.

WAS

But a default planet added to the scene is at xyz: 0, 1.32606e+07, 6.23862e+07 and works fine. That's 62,386,200 meters from source, and another 6.378e+06 added to it for radius. That's furthest point at 68,764,200 meters. Background sphere doesn't even start until 200,000,000 meters.

None of this still adds up and the background sphere should be way out there and have no effect.68,764,200

And technically the sphere radius set is 200,000,000, which means it's actually around 400,000,000 meters of sphere within this sphere, 200,000,000 from 0,0,0

Default planet is even way further than I had my much smaller moon.

WAS

Doing tests I think my issue was max distance of the light source.

Though you'd think the light source would still actually be a visible object still, just no light rays. Strange.