Using light temperatures

Started by WAS, January 03, 2022, 02:31:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WAS

I think I asked this before but I didn't get the info I needed. How can I accurately model colour temperature / brightness of a light source? And is it possible with a default shader / surface layer?

I read this and was wondering if it's logic can be ported to TG? https://blendergrid.com/learn/articles/cycles-physically-correct-brightness

Also that blackbody stuff sounds fascinating for TG.

Nala1977

for that to work you would need probably inverse square light emission which i dont think terragen supports

WAS

Quote from: Nala1977 on January 04, 2022, 08:00:15 PMfor that to work you would need probably inverse square light emission which i dont think terragen supports

oh drat. I suspected something like that. I hope we get something like that. Would be nice for accurate candle light and stuff.

Tangled-Universe

TG respects the inverse square law for all light sources by default.
You can cheat with it using spotlights, which have the "falloff power" setting. Default = 2 = inverse square law.
Set it to 1 and your lightsource will never fade, set it to 3 and you have an inverse cubed lightsource.

WAS

I am wondering if it's possible to make an accurate say 6000k light sources, and 3600k light sources. Picking colour and brightness seems to keep me in a loop with reference .

Tangled-Universe

Yeah I wish for that too sometimes.
If you're keen on playing with such concepts often I'd recommend to create a separate default project file with pre-configured light sources at different colour temperatures.