Gas Giant WIP

Started by Sethren, December 18, 2007, 03:21:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sethren

My first test concerning gas giants.

A number of problem spots must be solved though.

1: Figure out why there is a series of banded clouds only isolated in one section.
2: The clouds look more like a terrain, they need to be more softened.
3: I need to find a way to make single bands isolated to there own regions.
4: I need small-scale turbulence.
5: More cloud layers and colors.
6: i need small-scale coriolis effects.

Virex

Limiting bands to certain areas? That ought to be possible using the node network. Try limiting the Y at which the clouds appear with either a boolean or an inverted quadratic function.

Will

Also you can plug in the atmo shader into the terrain if you need to.
The world is round... so you have to use spherical projection.

glen5700

Looks like planer mapping thats causing the stretching of your shader, changing it to spherical should solve the stretching.

HTH,
Glen

moodflow

Looks like you need to increase the smallest scale.  Otherwise you get that octave fractal look, where the fractal repeats itself, only smaller and smaller.  I usually use a 1/10 approach, where smallest scale is 1/10th the regular scale.

As for the banding, do you have the fractal dimensions in the X or Z planes stretched at all?
http://www.moodflow.com
mood-inspiring images and music

dhavalmistry

"His blood-terragen level is 99.99%...he is definitely drunk on Terragen!"

Arandil

Needs more 'gassy' .. dunno .. ???

Sethren

Working on it.    ;D   I need a faster PC.    :'(

rcallicotte

Sethern, I would have tried to respond, but yesterday was a requirements jungle.  Now that I have a brain to look at it, I'd say your own suggestions, once implemented, should be all you need.  And nvseal's input would always be helpful.   ;D
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Sethren

Alright, i fixed the stretch issue as i had to have both axis' stretched and went to 100 on both. Also i do not think it is possible to have small scale turbulence that i wanted to have. We need a twist function feed to the cloud node. I can not have that corolis effect i am looking for for the small scale details it seems.

rcallicotte

This is different and has potential.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

child@play

nice, but you may try not to stretch the clouds so much, but rather adjust the clouds feature and smallest scales, so that you get bigger structures with more swirl and detail
perfection is not when there's nothing more to add, it's reached when nothing more can be left out

Sethren

It's a Gas Giant, overall there is supposed to be long cloud bands. The swirls and details indeed is what i need but i do not know of a shader that swirls. Overall the clouds need to be softer a bit and many more layers.

child@play

yeah, what i meant was that you can achieve cloud bands on another way too. i was thinking of something like this (sorry for posting a pic in your thread)
perfection is not when there's nothing more to add, it's reached when nothing more can be left out

Sethren

No worries, were all testing our ideas here.   ;)    I see what you mean, the cloud banding like this can be for smaller gaseous planets were winds are not as powerful as it is the very high velocity winds that cause the effect of longer cloud bands. This could be useful for thicker atmospheric worlds like Venus as well.