Silurian

Started by Dune, January 30, 2022, 01:06:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dune

An ancient scene, starring some Ichthyostega. Started out as a test with smooth voronoi rocks (I can't help myself), and I do need to change things as I'm not really satisfied.

raymoh

"I consider global warming much less dangerous than global dumbing down"   (Lisa Fitz, German comedian)

masonspappy

The scene looks great!!
Although I'm also wondering if you'd need a hunting license or a fishing license for the Ichthyostegas?

WAS

This looks great! Nice and rough and rocky. The lighting is cool too, get to see all the crevices.

sboerner

Wonderful cliffs. Are Ichthyostega a type of lungfish?

Dune

Well, the cliffs is what I'm working on, so have another look soon. They are one of the first amphibians to crawl out of the water, so I guess they've developed some primitive lungs.

RichTwo

Even when you don't got it going on, you got it going on  :)
They're all wasted!

Dune

Here's an updated version with some XFrog greenery, and some of my own shelf. Might be completely off regarding environments back then, but it was only a rock test after all. Still some issues to solve...

Hannes

Fantastic rocks, Ulco! I like the lighting on both images.

Dune

Thanks Hannes.

Here's a diversion, and a little later in time (middle/late Devonian), when land vegetation was well under way. Silurian didn't have any amphibians yet, btw.

Hannes

Wow, this is absolutely fantastic! The mud looks so believable! And the animals are gorgeous! Lighting, vegetation... everything. Somehow I find that this is one of your best images, Ulco!

WAS

Very cool!

It's strange how time has changed. When I was a kid we were certain that Salamanders came first, making their way onto land. But now, we assert that the first salamanders appeared 164mya. By contrast, dinosaurs had already been established for 66 million years as the first truly Dinosaur fossils appear 230mya.

Also, a bit confusing as we always thought there was this stage of reptiles being like Salamanders, and living in tributaries before becoming fully land adapted and becoming reptiles.

sboerner

Agree with Hannes. Excellent work! Both images.

pixelpusher636

Quote from: Dune on January 31, 2022, 02:56:00 AMHere's an updated version with some XFrog greenery, and some of my own shelf. Might be completely off regarding environments back then, but it was only a rock test after all. Still some issues to solve...
The rock cliff is flawless! As well as the rest of the terrain. However, something off with some of the veg. See what I did there Dune? Acting like I know things. 😀 Only fooling with ya, it all looks great.
The more I use Terragen, the more I realize the world is not so small.

Dune

Thanks guys. The water was a bit tricky as I don't like the hard transition between a water object and the planet, so it's all in one layer. Doesn't need a subdiv adjustment then either. You won't have transparency though. Not too bad in this case.
Yeah, I like the 'monsters', love to have some as pets ;D I used to have salamanders as pets, fantastic! It's really interesting if you dive into a subject like this, how plants evolved over the era, etc.

Oh, yes, here's another one of the rockface.