TG4 + World Machine Rivers

Started by ares2101, February 04, 2022, 09:24:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ares2101

I recently upgraded my ancient World Machine and noticed this cool feature where it calculates rivers and lakes.   Has anyone done made use of this?  I did a piece years back where I made a waterfall by combining a painted shader and water.  I can also imagine water on multiple elevations with multiple size-limited lakes.  However, is there anyway to simplify to have Terragen make all the rivers?  For a terrain this size, individually painting the rivers would be...a long process.

Rivers.jpg

blattacker

Just off the cuff thinking about it, you could probably (in World Machine), use a Meshify device on the water system to export it as an obj file, and place that in the Terragen world with an appropriate texture. Failing that, you could very easily create a mask for a general water texture in Terragen by using a "Select Wetness" device in World Machine (I usually add a Constant generator with the height at 0 piped into the precipitation map just to make sure it only outputs where water currently exists).

Dune

Try Daniil's erosion plugin. There's a river mode.

WAS

Yes Daniil's shader does do rivers, but they don't really make all the much sense. They seem to form out of nowhere, and end no where. No lakes and such, no meandering of smaller streams forming a river. I don't really like it that much. More something for flat land.