Terragen crash with water

Started by sweref, February 05, 2022, 03:47:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sweref

If I just add a water object and use full reflection and roughness its fine. But as soon I add clouds and maybe FrogX objects it crashes. I have also tried to pause the render and just run the render in the background from the menu. But it then crashes.
Not always but many times.
I have a powerful machine but maybe not enough?  32 GB RAM. Don't know what graphic card. How do I check that?
My guess its to much processes if I add water. And I donĀ“t know if the generated population of trees intersect the water and if that also good be i issue  ( What I mean by that is that I have not checked the correct elevation and the population is under the water, but it can still crash any way ) .
My second quess is that maybe the camera focal lenght can be a parameter also. (More angles to calculate)

I am new on new so sorry I cant be more specific.

Hannes

Hard to say, what's causing the crashes without checking the file.
When does it crash exactly? You wrote "But as soon I add clouds and maybe FrogX objects it crashes.", but you also wrote "I have also tried to pause the render and just run the render in the background from the menu. But it then crashes."
So is it happening after you hit the render button?
Anyway, I don't think your system is too weak. It sounds OK to me. But as I said, without having a look at your file, it's hard to say anything.

digitalguru

Quote from: sweref on February 05, 2022, 03:47:48 AMDon't know what graphic card. How do I check that?
Speccy is not bad for checking your hardware (if you're on Windows):

https://www.ccleaner.com/speccy

WAS

Can you share an example project of your issue that crashes for sure for you? Just save it before you attempt to render and see if it crashes, and upload the TGD. We might be able to see if there is some sort of conflict. TG does have some weird quirks sometimes. Like I have close the 3D Preview entirely to just delete the default terrain or I will crash no matter what. Even if it's just paused. It has to be closed.

Dune

There's another thing you could try for water; adding a sphere, same size as planet, located at the same location. Disable shadows, and use a surface shader as principle surface. I've made you a small example. I think it is less prone to crashes.