PC Spec to make Terragen fly

Started by richiev4, December 18, 2007, 03:58:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

richiev4

Hi All

I'm new to these forums, but have been playing with Terragen 0.9.43 and previous for quite a while, if you want a laugh here is my picasa page of the attempts I have made.

http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/richiev4/MyTerragenPics

I have now downloaded version 2 to play with but find my current laptop a bit too slow.

I would like a new one that would make Terragen fly but am not really sure what would be that best spec. If anyone could advise me I would be very greatful. (for the time being lets pretend that money is no object, just that it must be a laptop)

Thanks in advance

Rich

moodflow

Well if money was no object, I'd purchase a laptop from http://www.alienware.com

I'd get:

Quad Core
4GB RAM
1920x1200 resolution screen

You'd be a one crazy renderin' dude...
http://www.moodflow.com
mood-inspiring images and music

Will

Well that is once Terragen 2 is optimized for multicore machines.
The world is round... so you have to use spherical projection.

NWsenior07

My Dell with a 2 Ghz AMD processor, and 2 GB of RAM does fairly well but I'd suggest an even faster processor and more RAM if feasable.

dhavalmistry

these arent bad at all actually....

Quote from: moodflow on December 18, 2007, 05:21:59 PM
Well if money was no object, I'd purchase a laptop from http://www.alienware.com

I'd get:

Quad Core
4GB RAM

I wouldnt do that if I were you...2 reasons...

1. It is a ripoff
2. Alienware simply sucks....I have one and.....let me put it this way!....they are only meant to work untill your warranty expires...$4000 down the drain....thats right....4 GRAND for a damn laptop!
"His blood-terragen level is 99.99%...he is definitely drunk on Terragen!"

rcallicotte

So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Orangebugpro

A friend of mine just got an alienware laptop, the huge widescreen one.  It's got dual Nvidia cards in Sli.  He says he has to wait for alienware to release drivers, direct from nvidia drivers crash the card. :P

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: Orangebugpro on December 19, 2007, 10:12:00 PM
A friend of mine just got an alienware laptop, the huge widescreen one.  It's got dual Nvidia cards in Sli.  He says he has to wait for alienware to release drivers, direct from nvidia drivers crash the card. :P

A laptop with GPU's in SLI? Never heared of that before... :)

I've just replaced my AMD 3500+ with 2GB RAM with a quad-core 2,4GHz with 4GB RAM (considering to add 4 more for heavy/serious populated scenes).
Seriously, it's about at least 7 times faster with rendering. Currently I'm running an image which first took 15 hours, but is now already 65% finished within 40 minutes ;D
Ok, it's not a laptop, but compared to my last machine this machine really flies ;D

moodflow

Quote from: dhavalmistry on December 18, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
these arent bad at all actually....

Quote from: moodflow on December 18, 2007, 05:21:59 PM

I'd get:

Quad Core
4GB RAM

I wouldnt do that if I were you...2 reasons...

1. It is a ripoff
2. Alienware simply sucks....I have one and.....let me put it this way!....they are only meant to work untill your warranty expires...$4000 down the drain....thats right....4 GRAND for a damn laptop!

Yea I have to agree Dhaval.  Thats a boat load of cash and I've heard their support is horrid.  But if I had unlimited amounts of cash, I'd buy one just to test it.

moodflow

Another option to make TG2 fly:

I was looking at the quad core shuttle PCs.  I built one (using their online tool) for about $1200 with their top of the line quad core CPU and 4GB of RAM.  It could likely be done for even cheaper if you build it yourself piece by piece.

This will work nicely when multicore is supported.

moray

Don't be ashamed of your terragen gallery...there are some great images in there!  NEVER low-rate yourself.

DanD

Well..I've been rendering and modelling on this alienware laptop.
and its freakin sweet. Havent had a single problem,other than
a heating issue...but,cmon..its got 2 processors,2 video cards.
and 2 drives,all of it stuck in a laptop. once I elevated it,using a simple
stand,then the heating issue,wasnt an issue.

otakar

Quote from: Tangled-Universe on December 20, 2007, 01:04:40 PM
I've just replaced my AMD 3500+ with 2GB RAM with a quad-core 2,4GHz with 4GB RAM (considering to add 4 more for heavy/serious populated scenes).
Seriously, it's about at least 7 times faster with rendering. ...

Could you elaborate a bit? I thought multi-core systems are not yet being utilized by TG2? Unless you have access the the alpha build, maybe? Or is this performance improvement due to the faster processor and your doubling of RAM? It sounds interesting as to what kind of performance can be experienced after upgrading. Seems very significant in your case.

buchvecny

Quote from: otakar on December 26, 2007, 01:41:49 PM

Could you elaborate a bit? I thought multi-core systems are not yet being utilized by TG2? Unless you have access the the alpha build, maybe? Or is this performance improvement due to the faster processor and your doubling of RAM? It sounds interesting as to what kind of performance can be experienced after upgrading. Seems very significant in your case.

the deal is AMD 3500+ is not better than 2,4 GHZ from intel. So basically the solo core is better compared to his previous setup. However... the multi cores are not yet supported so he doesnt benefit from his quad much

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: buchvecny on December 26, 2007, 06:18:03 PM
Quote from: otakar on December 26, 2007, 01:41:49 PM

the deal is AMD 3500+ is not better than 2,4 GHZ from intel. So basically the solo core is better compared to his previous setup. However... the multi cores are not yet supported so he doesnt benefit from his quad much

You're right about AMD 3500+ being inferior to a single 2,4 GHz core from the core 2 quad.
However, I really DO benefit from my quadcore already because I render in 4 instances of TG2 at the same time ;)