Heightfield Erode v3 VERY rough

Started by WAS, February 19, 2022, 07:14:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WAS

I have no roughness settings applied, variation of generate at 0, roughness at zero, no added fractal detail, but when I erode, it gets VERY rough. How do I avoid this?

Balletdude

Quote from: WAS on February 19, 2022, 07:14:43 PMI have no roughness settings applied, variation of generate at 0, roughness at zero, no added fractal detail, but when I erode, it gets VERY rough. How do I avoid this?
Any chance you could share the file. just difficult to get an idea, as I can't see what you have the camera pointed at, and just to see your other nodes and how you have it set up

WAS

It's just a canyon with right edges. No shaders applied yet so only shaders active in use are what's seen.

I'll see if I can find that project or recreate it. Was doing "smooth sand" tests for worn canyon. 

Dune

How about unchecking diffusion adapts to slope? Maybe there are tiny differences that inhibit smoothness.

Balletdude

I've been reading the documentation and have a few ideas, i will get bck to you I've attached some images to show progress

Balletdude

Ok final attempt. I think if you play with 
increasing duration, deposition rate, and diffusion, and 

decrease  Erosion Power, and the slip angle you could get it smoother.

No idea if this is what you meant, but i've attach a final small render and the erosion node settings

Kevin Kipper

Hi WAS,

As always, here's my plug for the "Terragen for VFX" video tutorial series.  In the compilation video, at about 00:18:00 we discuss the erosion operator, and about 00:19:40 we discus the deposition parameters.  That part of the erosion process deals with where the eroded material ends up.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0dtt4IusJM

It may be that the Diffusion parameter needs to be set lower, because it can create roughness as it simulates how erosion channels might interact with each other.  I don't believe this interaction is a physically accurate simulation.  I would try reducing that value to 0 and to see if that smooths the terrain, and then increment the parameter bit by bit.

WAS

Probably the deal here. I hadn't really played with settings much with erode, just needed that look for something. I assume this may be more a relationship between scale and these settings. This is relatively big, grand canyon like dimensions. Now that I think about it I remember this in the past, just now as small scale because the terrain was more up close. Lots of "web" like deposition from the downcutting.