Welcome back PS Forums

Started by WAS, February 25, 2022, 01:25:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WAS

Matt

We've updated the forum to SMF 2.1.1, which is the latest stable release (previously we were on 2.1 RC2).

reCAPTCHA is reenabled for new user signups, which might help reduce spam.

The Planetside themes weren't 100% compatible with 2.1.1 and I had to make some changes. I see that there are still a couple of things that we'll need to fix, but I think it's functional enough to open the doors again :)
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

Dune

Balletdude

I actually missed it a lot. I may not comment much as I think the people asking questions probably know more than already. 

Hannes

Great!! It felt somehow weird not to reach the forum.

Hannes

One absolutely unnecessary thing to possibly change (imho): for topics I (users) have posted in, a question mark might be a bit confusing (for new users at least...).

Hannes

Tadaaaa! I just reported the first spammer. Could it be, it's a relic of the previous version forum? I hope so...

cyphyr

Glad the forum is back, missed my daily dose of TG.

One change I have seen is I can't find the "unread posts" link any more. Is it gone or just hidden?
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

digitalguru

Good to see the forum back!
Something significant has been switched on as my inbox is filling up with notification emails that weren't sent for the last year (60+ and counting!)
Hope these are set now and it's not just the system going bonkers, missed that feature as I missed a lot of thread posts that way in the past.

Dune

I didn't find unread posts either, but changed some stuff in my account settings and now it's back. Don't know what I changed, though.

Matt

The "Unread posts" and related links were missing when I launched it last night, but I fixed it shortly afterwards. It may need a refresh, or possibly a clearing of the cache. If it's still missing, let me know.
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

Hannes

Matt, please check the user signup procedure again. I just reported a russian spammer who sent ten posts at once.

Dune

And 2 more from other spammers, just now...

WAS

I think we need a custom question. Something only real people will answer. Maybe an easy to find word on the main website, or a math question.

Also the forum theme is looking really good considering issues I saw originally. The only thing that's immediately bothering me is the quick reply / post buttons don't have a style class anymore at all, and should be floating to the right.

.post_button_container {
  float: right;
  margin-top: 5px;
}

Also I noticed the notifications/daily notifications aren't working again. Is there no tasks set up for them? I think you can use cronjobs or just have it run whenever index.php is accessed.

WAS

PS reCAPTCHA really isn't enough to secure things these days. reCAPTCHA 3 is even bypassed, and scripts available to do so all over. You need things bots just can't do, and unique security questions are one way to do that. Considering these are bots trained to use forum systems, they're pretty sophisticated, and probably using these exploits. And it's easy to detect reCAPTCHA versions to determine a patch to apply.