Ideas for Flat Top Columnar

Started by WAS, February 28, 2022, 01:09:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WAS

Looking for ideas on flat top columnar structures, so I am requesting the help of Terragen's great minds. I have some ideas I am attempting now. Will share if anything comes of them.

WAS

Not really the looks I was after, but sorta can get somewhere with fake stones and some trickery.

WAS

If we had the ability to control scales via scalars for objects, this could be easily done with objects, probably.

aknight0

Maybe not what you're looking for, but Gaea has a cell shader that gives similar shapes.  

Cells.JPG

WAS

TG does too, but getting the displacement align vertical while retaining the horizontal tops is driving me nuts Lol. Gaea would be nice in my tool set but it'll have to wait. That does look really good. Looks like it's aligned vertical with flat tops.

Dune

There must be a blue node way. Jon would probably come up with something in no time. The only thing I can add is the voronoi smooth, but it's not like the perfect basalt columns (at all).

WAS

Wonder if a honeycomb texture in 32bit from blender would help with the shapes at least. That is promising displacement wise. 

Dune

Or mix Jon's procedural squares by 45ยบ rotated squares for 8-sided patches. But image map is easier.