Zebra's

Started by Doug, March 16, 2022, 10:34:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug

A new picture i am working on.

Balletdude

That's stunning. love the lighting.
did you model the zebras yourself.

if I could suggest one thing (and by no means take it as a problem) maybe vary the plants in the background in height a bit more? I am probably imagining it but I can see a pattern of repetition, but probably just my eyes playing tricks on me

But as I said stunning image

Hannes

Great!!! If you check "receive shadows from surfaces" in the cloud layer that represents the dust, it would look even better, I guess (and render longer...)

Doug

Thanks for the comments and suggestions.

I'm working on the even level background. Going to try trees and rocks.

I did check "receive shadows from surfaces"  as Hannes suggested.  That works very well, never new it was there.

How do i add more light without washing things out?
Is there a way to tell a light source not to shine on an Object? but still shine on everything else

Thanks

Hannes

Yep, that's better!
Actually there is no usual way to exclude objects from the active lighting, as far as I'm aware of, but maybe there's some dirty trick? ;)   Which object do you want to exclude?

Doug

I was thinking if i could add light to the Zebras without affecting the plants or ground or sky.

zaxxon

Really fine work!  I really like the flow of the zebras forms, well done.  I did a similar scene awhile back and the atmosphere settings played a large part in creating the effect I think you are mentioning. That image is posted in the Forums Travelers Contest section, but here's a link to the breakdown showing the atmosphere's impact on the lighting: https://vimeo.com/436609828   If you think it would help I could send you the files. BTW - great first name Doug!

WAS

This is quite a nice image! I like the second iteration with the shadows added more.

Quote from: zaxxon on March 16, 2022, 08:29:29 PMReally fine work!  I really like the flow of the zebras forms, well done.  I did a similar scene awhile back and the atmosphere settings played a large part in creating the effect I think you are mentioning. That image is posted in the Forums Travelers Contest section, but here's a link to the breakdown showing the atmosphere's impact on the lighting: https://vimeo.com/436609828  If you think it would help I could send you the files. BTW - great first name Doug!
Oh, yeah, most definitely. Especially the high lighting contrasting with the shadows. It gives it that "Really in the sun" look.

He could probably achieve similar with what he has going on now.

Dune

Good job. It really shows the dynamics of such a herd. Shadows in dust really does it too. If you want more light on the zebra's the only thing I can think of is either comping them in  later (and do 2 renders), but that would be an enormous task, or just light up the texture. You can go above 1 if needed in the default shader, I tend to do that if I want ground colors to seep into grass objects.
Or give them a little (more) soft reflection, which would lighten up their back mostly.

Balletdude

Would changing the luminosity and fresnel reflectivity in the default shader work?

Dune

I wouldn't use luminosity, unless you want glowing zebra's ;D  8)

Here's what happens if you increase fresnel reflection from 0.1 to 0.4 and set roughness to 0.4 instead of 0.2. And raised base color from 0.8 to 1.2.

Balletdude

Quote from: Dune on March 17, 2022, 05:11:52 AMI wouldn't use luminosity, unless you want glowing zebra's ;D  8)

Here's what happens if you increase fresnel reflection from 0.1 to 0.4 and set roughness to 0.4 instead of 0.2. And raised base color from 0.8 to 1.2.
Just realised you wanted the objects lighter. I was testing making them less affected by the lighting. Not sure how well it works in that respect

Hannes

Quote from: Dune on March 17, 2022, 05:11:52 AMHere's what happens if you increase fresnel reflection from 0.1 to 0.4 and set roughness to 0.4 instead of 0.2. And raised base color from 0.8 to 1.2.
That looks really good and not unnatural at all.

Stormlord

Great Image with a very good mood in it!
LOVE IT

STORMLORD

Doug

I added the trees and it darkened everything, so i increased the sunlight which doesn't washout the ground but the Zebra's got lighter.