[Feature Idea] Boolean Objects

Started by WAS, March 22, 2022, 02:42:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WAS

Boolean objects would be really cool. Able to use them to punch holes or carve away at other objects. Say you have a elongated cube as a terrain, you could use sphere objects as booleans to bunch holes out in this terrain, using the sphere objects displacement as the mask to boolean the other object.

Dune

WAS

I imagine it could be implemented in the existing system. A Boolean tab where you can then select a target object, and then the object can Boolean the target where it intersects. And then you can just disable rendering of the object you used to Boolean your target.

Dune

I can't help myself thinking of the cubes and spheres you see in viewport as 'objects', which would make boolean stuff hard (like trying to boolean subtract 2 intersecting real pebbles), but in fact they are just spacial calculations, and just represented by viewable 'objects'. So it should be possible.

WAS

Quote from: Dune on March 28, 2022, 02:02:38 AMI can't help myself thinking of the cubes and spheres you see in viewport as 'objects', which would make boolean stuff hard (like trying to boolean subtract 2 intersecting real pebbles), but in fact they are just spacial calculations, and just represented by viewable 'objects'. So it should be possible.
I'm not sure. I think it's possible. You can do it in blender with dynamic objects (modifiers that aren't applied to physical object on disk, and just held in memory)

Honestly I think TG would be better at it, because instead of a unified subdivision of the whole object doing the boolean, TG can use it's adaptive subdivision, so things at a distance will be lighter to boolean.