NWDA's 2022 Theme Challenge "HORIZONS"

Started by DannyG, April 03, 2022, 09:07:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nala1977

present!

is there gonna be a forum where we can see each other work in progress?

Dune

If everybody participating (and daring enough to share WIPS ;)  ) just titles it HORIZONS, it will be quite clear, I'd say.

WAS

Quote from: Nala1977 on April 05, 2022, 11:21:01 AMpresent!

is there gonna be a forum where we can see each other work in progress?

I have messaged the powers that be, waiting on a response. Hopefully they will, I don't see why not. Though I imagine it may be a little annoying to make the forum and make sure the permissions are right across user groups.

masonspappy

Quote from: DannyG on April 04, 2022, 06:08:08 AM
QuoteI don't think that is really a problem. Doing promotion and web design has nothing to do with making a photoreal render, and having it judged by the named judges. In that respect you can also exclude members of NWDA (to which I still could count myself), which once or twice was the case in the past.
I would like to see you do something spectacular  ;)
Hey WAS - Go for it! :)

Balletdude

Quote from: cyphyr on April 04, 2022, 06:17:37 AMGREAT NEWS !!! HURRAR AND HURRAY :)

Looking forward to getting into this (although as usual I seem to be somewhat overwhelmed with work at the moment).

One comment I do have is that I am disappointed with rule three.

•     The final render must be rendered within a single application.
An absolute mainstay of all professional VFX and CGI work is the ability to use different packages together in a seamless and unified way.  I would hope that competitions like this would encourage (bit in no means require) participants to use multiple packages if that is their desire if only because any practice and knowledge gained will only benefit the participants and the industry.  Also it's not a competition about which is the best software but who is the best artist.

Anyway ranty ramble asside best of luck to everyone :D
The way I read it is you can use other software eg blender etc to create assets etc, but they must be imported into your software of choice for rendering, eg terragen, and then the final image rendered from there. you can then render different passes and composition them in a third party application.

Or have I got that wrong?

Hannes

I think, this is the way it is. Quoting Danny:

"You can certainly create all your assets / effects in other software just get them into your tool of choice for the final render."

"Rendering layers and composing in 3rd party application(s) is permitted."

zaxxon

Hopefully there will be a good number of entrants creating work with many different software platforms, the prizes certainly warrant a good turnout!  While TG has dominated in several of the NWDA contests, the competition could be more challenging with this one. Here's a promotion that appears over at our friendly rival E-on:  https://info.e-onsoftware.com/blog/expand-your-creativity-with-the-nwda-horizons-challenge

Note the winning images of the past NWDA contest in that E-on promo...😉

WAS

It was awesome of Daniel to write up that article. Helped a lot with traffic and exposure.

DannyG

Quote from: zaxxon on April 15, 2022, 12:45:26 PMHopefully there will be a good number of entrants creating work with many different software platforms, the prizes certainly warrant a good turnout!  While TG has dominated in several of the NWDA contests, the competition could be more challenging with this one. Here's a promotion that appears over at our friendly rival E-on:  https://info.e-onsoftware.com/blog/expand-your-creativity-with-the-nwda-horizons-challenge

Note the winning images of the past NWDA contest in that E-on promo...😉

Promotion for a contest that promotes their Software .....  what a concept !

New World Digital Art
NwdaGroup.com
Media: facebook|Twitter|Instagram

N-drju

Oooh, weee... Long time no see and the first thing I see is the new contest...

Not sure if I'll be able to join but it's nice to see that this initiative is not dead yet. :)
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

DannyG

Quote from: N-drju on April 19, 2022, 05:28:01 AMOooh, weee... Long time no see and the first thing I see is the new contest...

Not sure if I'll be able to join but it's nice to see that this initiative is not dead yet. :)

Yes N-drju we're still here supporting the TG Community, That's never going to change. Hopefully you have some time to get an entry together
New World Digital Art
NwdaGroup.com

KlausK

Again packed with fantastic prices! Thanks for that.
Now I hope that the Theme Challenge does not stop at what the advertising picture suggests and there will be entries which are not "horizons" "only".

Here is what the dictonary of Ethymologie says:

horizon (n.)
late 14c., orisoun, from Old French orizon (14c., Modern French horizon), earlier orizonte (13c.), from Latin horizontem (nominative horizon), from Greek horizon (kyklos) "bounding (circle)," from horizein "bound, limit, divide, separate," from horos "boundary, landmark, marking stones." The h- was restored in English 17c. in imitation of Latin. Old English used eaggemearc ("eye-mark") for "limit of view, horizon." The apparent horizon is distinguished from the celestial or astronomical horizon.

As Zaxxon wrote in another thread, there is more to it in a figurative sense ;)

CHeers, Klaus
/ ASUS WS Mainboard / Dual XEON E5-2640v3 / 64GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 TI / Win7 Ultimate . . . still (||-:-||)

DannyG

Klaus, Here are some reference photos I started collecting. This is the best way to explain the Theme. BTW There are no boundaries here as you can see "Open to Artist interpretation"
https://www.pinterest.com/NwdaGroup/horizons-inspiration/
New World Digital Art
NwdaGroup.com

KlausK

Thanks Danny, I`ll have a look.

CHeers, Klaus
/ ASUS WS Mainboard / Dual XEON E5-2640v3 / 64GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 TI / Win7 Ultimate . . . still (||-:-||)

WAS

Right it could even be totally different. Like I mentioned in the description on the challenge page, it could just be the next big chapter of life, and that is open for interpretation itself. Someone in a journey, going for that next big job, having a baby, who knows.