Whipping up WIPs

Started by WAS, April 07, 2022, 08:33:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WAS

Just working on assets. Here is a first relatively complete one. Wasn't about to really mess with correcting UVs perfectly as these should be in the distance.

Dune

Balletdude

Quote from: WAS on April 07, 2022, 08:33:00 PMJust working on assets. Here is a first relatively complete one. Wasn't about to really mess with correcting UVs perfectly as these should be in the distance.
was that created in Blender?

WAS

Yep. All just excursions and insetting and some bevel on a circle shape to start.

Right now I am reading through docs on geometry nodes to try and tackle some procedural building like things. 

WAS

This is kinda fun. Getting somewhere with scifi buildings. 

Dune

Looks fun indeed. The hardest part will probably be the texturing.

WAS

Yeah, especially when Geometry Nodes and Shaders don't exactly work hand-in-hand yet. For example, having serious trouble trying to mask out window frames and lights from Z-/+ axis to have either none or different type like larger skylights. It'll work fine on underlying object, or any other normal mesh but not from procedural geometry, even though it's all using the same world space and axis system. May end up just doing the windows more simply in TG as at least there as a raw OBJ I know i can mask by Y no problem.

Dune

If it's for distance you have some leeway, but up close.... if this is for Horizons, it needs to be pretty photorealistic.

Balletdude

Quote from: WAS on April 09, 2022, 11:41:43 AMYep. All just excursions and insetting and some bevel on a circle shape to start.

Right now I am reading through docs on geometry nodes to try and tackle some procedural building like things.
Have a look at the youtube channel Kev Binge. That hs some useful tips for that sort of thing

sboerner

Love the machine and flame. Nice start on the procedural buildings. The thought of UV mapping that makes my head hurt though. 

Maybe let Blender map it (don't worry about shells/tiles) then as you say mask in TG. Maybe project textures on X/Z axes or through a camera?

Hannes

Don't know much about Blender, but this building looks awesome! I hope you'll get it UVed!

zaxxon

Nice start with the objects, curious where you are going with this?

WAS

Quote from: Hannes on April 10, 2022, 01:06:25 PMDon't know much about Blender, but this building looks awesome! I hope you'll get it UVed!

Everyone's advice on Blender was just to use "Generated" space, which is like our texture space. So I guess I'll be just texturing in Terragen if I end up using it. The only other way is to export, and import, and than UV the solid object, but I also won't have special date needed to slice it all without dealing with all the complicated geometry, so would have to manually slice everything.

I think all Blender needs is a "Recalculate UV" node for geometry. As it'll pass individual instance UV to the instancer, but then all the procedural scaling effects the UV scales, so noise looks different between each object part. So if we could just re-do UV, whether Box, SmartUV, or whatever, it would fix this issue, as the UV would be done for the new scale of the object.

WAS

I may spend time on just one or two "finished" buildings and the do some under construction ones or something that could use simpler materials. 

I figured out how to do this with this method I am using. Make a couple elongated cubes, transform mesh to wireframe, remesh, and boom, got like metal scaffolding. Then some planes extruded and instances 3 times on Z axis and X and Y so it looks like incomplete floors and walls. 

Dune

Or make it easy on yourself and make a backlit landscape where everything is shrouded in dark shadow. 'Easy realism' ;)