Hannes' Horizon thread

Started by Hannes, April 10, 2022, 12:04:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hannes

Thanks a lot, Ulco!!
Yes, the rails have the correct size, but at a second look I found the cross section (or is it profile?) is too broad. Changing that now.
It's hard to choose which POV is better. Somehow I prefer Version 2. My wife liked the lighting in V 1 better, so after I will have replaced the rails I'll try the POV of the second one with a lighting that's similar to V 1.

Hannes

Here's a screenshot of the RTP of the latest iteration. Same POV like In Version 2, similar lighting like in Version 1 and adjusted rails.

sboerner

I agree that the composition of the first one seems less crowded. (When I think of the VLA I picture wide-open spaces and skies.) I do wonder about the telephone/power lines, though. Wouldn't they mess up the radio signals? Maybe one detail too many.

WAS

Hmm, that's a good point about the power lines. They probably would try to run underground if they could help it. 

Hannes

Thanks guys! Good point. At least in one reference image I found some poles. (See attached image) But they are definitely a bit farther away.
Anyway, you made me think about it. I'd love to have them in, but I'll see, if I can find some other solution.

Ariel DK

Hi Hannes! I know youre trying to recreate the real SETI place, but for all the images you showed, i think only the 1st one really captured the literal and symbolic mean of "HORIZONS". The last ones are great of course, but they looks a little bit overloaded of stuff IMHO. My only advice is keep it simple  ;) 
 Im always looking forward whathever you render out
Hmmm, what version of Terragen does God use?

Hannes

Hi Ariel,
thanks for your comment! Much appreciated. It's good, that there's still plenty of time, so I can maybe take a break and look at it with fresh eyes. You're definitely right. Less can be more. Actually before I posted the first version, you're referring to, I deleted a load of objects I thought might look nice, but in the end were absolutely unnecessary. I'll see...

WAS

Quote from: Hannes on April 19, 2022, 12:11:57 PMThanks guys! Good point. At least in one reference image I found some poles. (See attached image) But they are definitely a bit farther away.
Anyway, you made me think about it. I'd love to have them in, but I'll see, if I can find some other solution.
Maybe just old power lines no longer operational from the old road that used to be part of something else? Could cut a few lines, have them dangle. Maybe even make them older: move the railroad over, or lines to railroad and use old telegraph and switch lines. :3

Super low voltage, and most likely inoperable, and I doubt they would care to even remove them. 

Hannes

Good idea! At the moment I just left them out, but maybe I'll make some old ones...

aknight0

I'd almost like to see a far away shot of this scene, really open up a big sky.  

Dune

That's a good idea, I too find it a wee bit overcrowded and busy. Perhaps some early afternoon stars, so it's really about horizons?

WAS

Maybe she's insane, and likes to sit on top of a dish, with the antenna array scaling off in the distance behind her? ;D 8)  Lol

Hannes

Actually I took Ariel's advice and got back to the very first image I posted and used this POV. I threw out a lot of stuff and focused mainly on Ellie and the telescopes (which somehow sounds like the name of a 50's Rock 'n' roll band ;D ;D ;D ).
I have the feeling, that this image is finished. Maybe that's it. But since there's still a lot of time left, I might try some completely different ideas...

Dune

This looks way better! I like it, first prize from me ;D

And btw, "Ellie and the Telescopes" also sounds a bit horny :P

WAS

I love Terragen being used on the laptop. That's a really charming touch.