Vector questions

Started by Valri, April 19, 2022, 05:26:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valri

Is there a way to import vector images into Terragen? I want to make landmasses in Terragen using custom vector shapes for continents on a planet I'm trying to make, I'd prefer this over raster images since vector works better at all scales.
Put that in your pipeline and smoke it!

WAS

Quote from: Valri on April 19, 2022, 05:26:17 PMIs there a way to import vector images into Terragen? I want to make landmasses in Terragen using custom vector shapes for continents on a planet I'm trying to make, I'd prefer this over raster images since vector works better at all scales.
You could probably just port the vector info the blue nodes and do it procedurally, since that's what the data is for. As for a SVG reader, no not yet. Though that would be nice.

Valri

Quote from: WAS on April 19, 2022, 05:51:04 PM
Quote from: Valri on April 19, 2022, 05:26:17 PMIs there a way to import vector images into Terragen? I want to make landmasses in Terragen using custom vector shapes for continents on a planet I'm trying to make, I'd prefer this over raster images since vector works better at all scales.
You could probably just port the vector info the blue nodes and do it procedurally, since that's what the data is for. As for a SVG reader, no not yet. Though that would be nice.
Can you show me how to port the vector into the blue nodes? I'm working on a commission and i'd really need to get the job done right as possible, is there a tutorial out there that could help me with this? 

WAS

I am absolutely terrible with math but maybe I could do it for a simple shape. The issue is blue nodes don't really have options for just drawing shapes on X, and Y, let alone transferring that to other coordinates like a spherical planet. That would all have to be set up manually from scratch with math and stuff. 

Kevin Kipper

Hi Valri,

This tutorial covers creating, exporting and importing vector images into Terragen.

https://planetside.co.uk/wiki/index.php?title=Vector_Displacement_-_Terragen_to_Zbrush_and_back_again

sboerner

Just my two cents, coming from a 2D graphic design background . . . I think Valri is referring to (and please correct me if I'm wrong) 2D vector shapes (Bezier paths) created in a design app like Illustrator that can be exported out as SVGs (as WAS mentioned). 

There have been requests here on the forum (including from me) to give the simple shape shader the ability to read SVGs. But right now there's no way to do that.

Ultimately all elements in a TG scene are rendered out as raster images. So my advice would be to start with the final resolution of your image and work backwards to calculate the smallest acceptable resolution of any continental masks you need to make. Then export the vector shapes out of Illustrator (or whatever) as raster images at that resolution. The scalability of your vector shapes is just pushed a little further back up the pipeline. You can always re-export at a higher res if the final image warrants it.

Valri

Quote from: sboerner on April 19, 2022, 09:13:40 PMJust my two cents, coming from a 2D graphic design background . . . I think Valri is referring to (and please correct me if I'm wrong) 2D vector shapes (Bezier paths) created in a design app like Illustrator that can be exported out as SVGs (as WAS mentioned).

There have been requests here on the forum (including from me) to give the simple shape shader the ability to read SVGs. But right now there's no way to do that.

Ultimately all elements in a TG scene are rendered out as raster images. So my advice would be to start with the final resolution of your image and work backwards to calculate the smallest acceptable resolution of any continental masks you need to make. Then export the vector shapes out of Illustrator (or whatever) as raster images at that resolution. The scalability of your vector shapes is just pushed a little further back up the pipeline. You can always re-export at a higher res if the final image warrants it.

Yes you understand what I mean, I was talking about 2D vector shapes, not vector displacement, anyhow I'll give your method a try. I suppose I can save out a rediculous large equirectangular projection of what I'm trying to create and then rasterize it and import into Terragen, since the final render will be from high orbit I don't think the pixels will be seen 

WAS

Quote from: Valri on April 20, 2022, 12:57:01 AM
Quote from: sboerner on April 19, 2022, 09:13:40 PMJust my two cents, coming from a 2D graphic design background . . . I think Valri is referring to (and please correct me if I'm wrong) 2D vector shapes (Bezier paths) created in a design app like Illustrator that can be exported out as SVGs (as WAS mentioned).

Yes you understand what I mean, I was talking about 2D vector shapes, not vector displacement, anyhow I'll give your method a try. I suppose I can save out a rediculous large equirectangular projection of what I'm trying to create and then rasterize it and import into Terragen, since the final render will be from high orbit I don't think the pixels will be seen
I'd break that up a bit. Even my 4gb+ mars equirectangular map are noticeably lower res.

So it will have to be massive. Lol

The map I want to load, I can't, unfortunately. It would offer the best resolution, but is 21gb. I only have 30gb of RAM. Lol

PS a SVG reader would be amazing for the Simple Shape shader. Great idea. I think I saw you mention it before.

Valri

Quote from: WAS on April 20, 2022, 01:47:12 AM
Quote from: Valri on April 20, 2022, 12:57:01 AM

Yes you understand what I mean, I was talking about 2D vector shapes, not vector displacement, anyhow I'll give your method a try. I suppose I can save out a rediculous large equirectangular projection of what I'm trying to create and then rasterize it and import into Terragen, since the final render will be from high orbit I don't think the pixels will be seen
I'd break that up a bit. Even my 4gb+ mars equirectangular map are noticeably lower res.

So it will have to be massive. Lol

The map I want to load, I can't, unfortunately. It would offer the best resolution, but is 21gb. I only have 30gb of RAM. Lol

PS a SVG reader would be amazing for the Simple Shape shader. Great idea. I think I saw you mention it before.
Not quite sure how to load a honking mega huge map in segments, how do I go about this?

sboerner

Valri

Quote from: sboerner on April 21, 2022, 12:37:49 AMSome ideas in this thread: https://planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,29701.msg290971.html#msg290971.

How large a map do you need to use?

i'm aiming for a 50,000 by 25,000 equirectangular map

sboerner

OK, that's pretty big. About 2 pixels/mile at the equator. (For an earth-size planet.) Are you sure you need that much resolution?

If you are rasterizing a vector shape, it will be black and white, right? And you'll use it as a mask to create the continent shapes?

Just as a quick test I took an old water mask that I had and enlarged it to 50000 x 25000. This began its life as a high-resolution raster so there is lots of detail. The resulting maximum-quality jpeg is 106 MB.

(Maybe I'm not understanding what you are trying to do.)

WAS

That definitely looks pretty smooth and without anomaly.

Valri

Quote from: sboerner on April 21, 2022, 11:33:34 AMOK, that's pretty big. About 2 pixels/mile at the equator. (For an earth-size planet.) Are you sure you need that much resolution?

If you are rasterizing a vector shape, it will be black and white, right? And you'll use it as a mask to create the continent shapes?

Just as a quick test I took an old water mask that I had and enlarged it to 50000 x 25000. This began its life as a high-resolution raster so there is lots of detail. The resulting maximum-quality jpeg is 106 MB.

(Maybe I'm not understanding what you are trying to do.)

i'm going to use the black and white image to make landmasses, I'll post a pic of it once it's done, I think I got this, it will just take quite some time to make the map lol

sboerner

Hope it goes well. Looking forward to seeing it.