Importing Objects to Terragen

Started by franontheedge, December 22, 2007, 06:29:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

franontheedge

I have heard that you can now import objects to Terragen, if this is true, how do you do that? (as I can't find "Import" anywhere.)

Or is that only in the not free version?

neon22

See screenshot.
But just go to Objects tab and add one.
Either a single object or a population

rcallicotte

neon22 is right...and look at all you can import.  There's a Load Terrain for heightfields, too.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

franontheedge

Ah, thanks for that but I don't think it's working for me.  Terragen says it's imported it - at least I think that's what it means in that menu on the left - but I can't see it anywhere in the view...

Ricowan

Your object gets placed at the center (0,0,0) of your scene by default, you need to move it to a spot your camera is pointing at, or point your camera at the center.  :)

Hannes

AndyWelder

And even with the good advice given above you still won't see the object(s) in the preview.
Now, if you check the "Preview Instances" check box and push "Populate now" you'll get a pretty good idea of where your objects have landed. (Voorbeeld2)
If you see the boxes that indicate where the objects are in the preview the object(s) will show in the Full/Quick render.

And try a different shader for the object to sit on; I found sometimes objects do hide beneath other shaders... (Voorbeeld3)
"Ik rotzooi maar wat aan" Karel Appel

franontheedge

Quote from: Ricowan on December 22, 2007, 01:49:26 PM
Your object gets placed at the center (0,0,0) of your scene by default, you need to move it to a spot your camera is pointing at, or point your camera at the center.  :)

How?

Also, I don't have a preview instances box or poulate now or anything that looks like the Image you posted.

AndyWelder

You can move objects by typing the coordinates of the spot you want them to appear in the XYZ boxes.(Voorbeeld)
Those coordinates you get by hovering with your mouse pointer in the preview render over the place you want them to appear. The coordinates then can be seen right beneath the preview.

franontheedge

Unfortunately, as I just said in my previous message - I just don't have a box like you posted in your image.  Are you perhaps using the pay for version of Terragen?  I only have the free version.

Or possibly that box is hidden somewhere in the depths of Terragen - if it is, then it's somewhere I have not been able to find it...

rcallicotte

The free version does everything as explained here.  Just follow the instructions to understand it.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

AndyWelder

To get the box as displayed in 'Voorbeeld'

• click once on the object name in the object list
or
  • double click on the object shader in the Node Network window

Oshyan

Quote from: franontheedge on December 22, 2007, 04:48:00 PM
Unfortunately, as I just said in my previous message - I just don't have a box like you posted in your image.  Are you perhaps using the pay for version of Terragen?  I only have the free version.

Or possibly that box is hidden somewhere in the depths of Terragen - if it is, then it's somewhere I have not been able to find it...
Or possibly you are using Terragen 0.9 and not Terragen 2...?

- Oshyan

franontheedge

Thank you.  I am using Terragen 2 . Free version.

I have now managed to get the object close enough to see, and then big enough to see, but on attempting to render, Terragen promptly crashed.

:(