Forest Valley Render

Started by BroBpony, May 06, 2022, 01:05:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BroBpony

I've been using Terragen for a while but only for HDRIs so I went out yesterday and created this terrain in Gaea and populated and rendered it in Terragen.

WAS

I like that cone peak a lot, like a old small dormant volcano. For not doing terrains much in TG this is a great start. ;)

Dune

Very nice render. And welcome to the forum!

mhaze

zaxxon

Nice. I saw this earlier on the Gaea Discord channel.  I'm happy to see your work on the TG Forum, there are some other folks who use World Creator and Gaea here as well and if you ever have any questions ask away, there's lots of very knowledgeable and helpful TG veterans here!

BroBpony

Quote from: zaxxon on May 07, 2022, 07:04:03 PMNice. I saw this earlier on the Gaea Discord channel.  I'm happy to see your work on the TG Forum, there are some other folks who use World Creator and Gaea here as well and if you ever have any questions ask away, there's lots of very knowledgeable and helpful TG veterans here!
Yeah, World Creator and Gaea are both great software that I can't wait to use more with Terragen. I def have questions, like: does anyone have a tut for importing a tree mesh and assigning a tint shader to the population because I could not get that to work in the scene.

Hannes

Just doubleclick on your population in your objects group to open it. Under the Colour tab check "Tint diffuse colour". Assign whatever shader you like to this. If you're using a power fractal with black as low colour, I'd recommend to increase the Diffuse colour multiplier (again under the population's colour tab) to let's say 1.5. Otherwise the population might appear too dark.

Dune

Does that actually work? I just checked, and can't see it. I always add a power fractal (or something else if needed, like a distribution shader) and transform shader (set to world position) inside the object as color variation. Even save all my tgo's with those additions.

WAS

I don't think tint in pop works if you have custom shaders. I think it basically applies to colour input of default shader (in code I assume). But if it's used, I don't think it would override it 

Hannes

Works for me. But for some reason it's not displayed in the viewports...

Hannes

Works with image map shaders as well.

Dune

Okay, thanks for checking it out. Interesting to know it doesn't show in RTP.

Hannes

OK ProBpony, I hope you don't mind, sort of hijacking your image thread, but actually it's the answer to your question.

As Ulco mentioned, there is the possibility to assign a shader directly in your object's shader network. If you run it through a Transform Input shader with "World Space" checked, you'll get an exact "projection" of your shader on your population. The advantage of this method is, you can do this for each part shader separately. the downside is, that it might look a bit too sharp, if you're using an image map shader for example (see image right). But depending on which objects you're populating, it might be the desired effect.
This method doesn't work without the Transform Input shader: each instance will have the identical shading.

If you're using the "Tint diffuse Colour" method under the colour tab of the population, each single instance will have more or less an idividual colour tinting depending on the shader you use.Looking like sort of a mosaic so to speak (image left).
For a sharp projection you could here as well put a Transform Input shader with World Space selected in between. This method affects the whole instance.

So, it's up to you to try, which method works best for you.

BroBpony

Yeah, no problem on the hijacking. I appreciate the help.
I might have to use the customer shader version as even with super unnatural and contrasting colors my tint is just not showing up, both in the rtp viewport (which seems normal looking at other replies) and in the render. I am using the obj reader and I don't know if that could also be a reason? I have my shader setup attached, it's a parts shader with a default shader as my tree has a basic colormap and a translucency map. I tried with a default shader that's not in the parts shader but it didn't work.

Kevin Kipper

Hi BroBPony,

There's a tutorial on the Planetside Software wiki all about tinting populations:
https://planetside.co.uk/wiki/index.php?title=Population_Colour_Tinting_Techniques