Fun with the Alpine Fractal

Started by pixelpusher636, June 12, 2022, 10:52:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pixelpusher636

Finally gave the Alpine Fractal some time, I'd noticed the potential in it before briefly messing around with the settings and doing quick renders.
While this needs to (and possibly will) be taken a lot further, I really like the look and the fine details it offers for the snow to cling to it here and there.

Not impressed with the clouds on the closeup. I should have did a few spot renders before the final render (amateur mistake) because while they looked good in the preview,
they look off in the final render. The lighting of them is not what I was going for. Kind of flat and unlit looking in places I didn't imagine and really bright and flat in the back left. :(
The easy cloud is a bit of a challenge for me sometimes.

Thanks for looking!
The more I use Terragen, the more I realize the world is not so small.

Dune

Very nice. The alpine is a fine fractal, also in combination with other noises, like perlin billows, or a mix. If you start experimenting try some combinations, either by altitude mask, or merge (highest raise); very interesting.

Hannes

Looks great!
For the clouds you could try a higher density and maybe play with the color.

Stormlord

Really beautiful Landscape, like the fog and the sun in the first image.

STORMLORD

denders

That looks very nice. Way ahead of my beginner attempts.

Dave

pixelpusher636

Thanks Guys! Hannes it's an interesting suggestion with the higher density. Turns out to not only did it solve a lot of the issue I had with the clouds, it apparently even changes the formations as well. Render "2" is with the same seed just increased the density by 0.3. Render "3" is a different seed altogether which I liked a little better. I'm not exactly sure where to start with color on them and no time to experiment today, I will post results on that at a later time. Thanks for the tip!

Dune I don't know why I didn't think of experimenting by an altitude mask, I did indeed merge two flavors of noise experimenting early on. I wasn't getting the results I wanted but for sure some interesting terrain,, maybe too interesting to be natural. By altitude I could maybe do more with it.

Stormlord and denders, thanks for the kind words! denders I'm living proof that just sticking with it will reward you pretty quickly. I see you are from TN. That is where I hail from nowadays.

Dune

Did you do the snow by displacement intersection?

Hannes

Cool!!! If you're happy with the look you don't need to bother with the color. It was only meant as a hack using brightness.

denders

I'm in Fairview. Moved from PA in '19. Closer to grandchildren.

Dave

pixelpusher636

Hannes I'm really not happy with the clouds but your tip it made it way better. I just need to get more familiar with the easy clouds so that they work better for me. I've seen some good examples and have even lucked out a few times with them. Until I learn more about them, an easy cloud for me is just using a Generic v2 cloud layer and tweaking it a bit.

@dune Yes I did but something is just plain off with it. I would be thrilled to have some better definition to it like Aknights's mountains he posted a few weeks ago. I've been unsuccessful in getting volume or mass with it. I might be saying that wrong I mean like snow that has accumulated on a surface should sit higher then whatever it's fallen on. I've had no luck. Tried plugging in dandel0's snow shader which has displacement built into the internal network (incase I was doing something wrong) and still nothing. Maybe  I'm further away from the mountain than I think. Very common problem I have...

pixelpusher636

Quote from: denders on June 14, 2022, 12:35:06 PMI'm in Fairview. Moved from PA in '19. Closer to grandchildren.

Dave

Oh I see, that's a pretty good distance to move but for all the right reasons. Hope you're getting lots of time with the grandkids. We aren't too far apart. I'm from the Paris area. 

Hope you have some time in between daily life for some Terragen, love to see some renders!

denders

Lots of time with the Grands. Dinner with them today. ;D Lots of fun too. I'm retired. I'll get there with a few renders. In between building plastic, 3D modeling aircraft, and figuring out a 3D printer. Lots of fun!  ;D

pixelpusher636

Quote from: denders on June 14, 2022, 05:12:15 PMLots of time with the Grands. Dinner with them today. ;D Lots of fun too. I'm retired. I'll get there with a few renders. In between building plastic, 3D modeling aircraft, and figuring out a 3D printer. Lots of fun!  ;D
This all sounds like a lot of fun, REALLY making me look forward to retirement one day denders. I suspect I will be doing much of the same as you when that day comes. Glad you aren't squandering your retirement.

mhaze

Good work. I like using the Alpine Fractel for backgrounds.