Water Shader on Object?

Started by blattacker, July 11, 2022, 11:27:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

blattacker

Hey everyone! I'm working on a scene exported from World Machine that uses a water system featuring rivers and lakes. I exported the water system as a mesh, and imported it into the Terragen scene. When applying a water shader to this obj file, the color, reflectivity, etc seems to load in correctly, but I cannot seem to get displacement to work. I've set the render setting to "Force Displacement", but that didn't seem to solve anything. I'm working with a full resolution output from World Machine, so the polygon count should be high enough that I should see something happening, but nothing does. It just ends up being a mirror smooth surface. Is there something I've forgotten/didn't know to do?
I've tried plugging the water shader in as the main shader, as the input for the parts shader that originally gets loaded in, and as the "main input" for the "TerrainMesh" Shader that also gets loaded on object import. If more information is needed, please let me know (I would upload the scene file, but even zipped, the archive is still over 2GB because of a dense water mesh and 8K maps coming out of World Machine)

blattacker

Popping in a quick update: It might just be the fact that I only have the free version of Terragen installed on this computer, I will double check on my actual/main computer when I get home from work. It's very possible that this has an incredibly easy solution.

Editing to update that using the full version on my home computer did not fix the issue.

Dune

I am 99.9% sure you need to pull the water shader through a transform shader set to world, as with every object needing 'world' displacements'.

blattacker

Yup, that was absolutely it! Thank you so much! I've never really messed around with displacement on objects before, and searching the forums wasn't helping, I must have just been using the wrong keywords. Thanks!