Started by Doug, July 15, 2022, 08:08:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug

learning how to make PetroGlyphs

i need to make the bottom rock darker and the petroglyphs lighter

what do you think of the top ones? hard to see i think

Doug

i forgot

how do i get rid of the repeated tiling?
i only have one set of glyphs

Dune

I would use a painted shader (set to 3D) to designate the area you want to glyphs in, use it to mask a surface shader where the glyph image map is sitting on as displacement or a child. Or a PF masking and hit seed until you're satisfied with a random set of glyphs.
I would also blur the image map a bit in PS or so, and use breakup (not just color) in the said surface layer to crumble the outlines a bit where it displaces inward.
You can also use the glyph to mask some darker tint in (or lighter, or an actual color if you prefer), just add a color adjust on the same surface layer as child. If you want that to be randomly variable, add another surface layer first as child and have the color adjust sit on that. You can then use an additional PF to mask the extra surface layer.

aknight0

Unique idea!  Interested to see how this turns out.

Doug

i got the tiling repeating out by resizing my image with a bigger border around the glphs

i wish rocks could have less sharp edges without being round

Doug

can i mask out the Roughness in the Glyphs?

the roughness isnt taken out of the rock inside the glyph

Doug

i converted it to grey scale

masonspappy

Las image is starting to look good.  The thing that had caught my eye in the first image was that the petroglyphs tended to run beyond that portion of the rock that was visible, but you've fixed that.

Doug

Do you mean the repetitive tiling thing? I'm using an image in a Default Shader as Color, Roughness and Displacement. I think it tiles the image like a PBR.
Kevin showed me how to use an Image Map and deselect tiling. I like the control i have with the Default Shader.
So what i did was make a 3840x2160 white background and made the petroglyph picture REALLY SMALL in the center, forcing and tiling far away on the sides.

Doug

now i am working on a .dem of Picacho Peak Arizona for the background

masonspappy

It will be interesting to see where you end up with this.

Doug

there is no stopping now
im hooked
im trying to get the .dem in the background
it is supposed to be below 0F for the next two days
so i got time

sboerner

Quoteit is supposed to be below 0F for the next two days
so i got time
That's the spirit! And a good use of time at that! Your last rendering is looking very good.

You can also use a camera to project an image map onto a surface from any angle. This way you won't have to pad the image map with whitespace (square maps work best).

Good luck with the DEM. Looking forward to seeing your next iteration.

Doug

This is a Terragen Sky Sky.
I had to be first to say it.

It took me about 5 minutes to get the one i wanted.
Saved it as a .tgc, and added it to my scene.
I like the lighting better with the Terragen Sky Sky.

sboerner

Agree. Lovely light. Looking good.