Planet 2

Started by saturnapollo, August 18, 2022, 04:57:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

saturnapollo

Having problems with the crater shading on Planet 2. Every time I try to insert a crater, or anything else for that matter I get an error message saying the project is not configured properly and  must have  a Compute Terrain node attached to the planet or object.

When I check the nodes there is indeed a Compute Terrain node attached to Planet 2 (see attached)

Obviously doing something wrong, perhaps something simple but I'm afraid after hours of trying, getting nowhere.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Many thanks.

Keith

Dune

Can you post the tgd?

saturnapollo

Here it is.

Thanks for responding.

Dune

I have made another file that might be of use. First of all, it is not wise to stray too far from the origin (0/0/0). Best to stay close to the 'North pole area' of the main planet. So I copied your nodes into this setup, took a location on the main planet, and added a rather large crater. I don't think the small fake stones will really be visible on this high camera POV, so I disabled them. You don't need a compute terrain either (which renders faster).
I then rotated the camera, so you can get a view more or less like in your file. I don't know if this is what you need, but this is how I would do it.

I also added a 'sphere' of simple floating rocks (can be replaced by better rock objects), not very appropriate for Pluto, but just for the fun of it, and to show how that can be done.

saturnapollo

Thanks very much for your reply and the time you have spent. Doesn't quite answer my question, but I will download the file and have a play with it.

Very much appreciated.

Keith

KlausK

hi,

the problem with your setup is/seems to be that the Power Fractal inside your Planet`s network is not connected to a Compute Terrain.
I deleted that and connected the shaders on the outside. This setup lets you add a Crater Shader without getting the a error.
Take a look at my file.

CHeers, Klaus
/ ASUS WS Mainboard / Dual XEON E5-2640v3 / 64GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 TI / Win7 Ultimate . . . still (||-:-||)

saturnapollo

Thanks for all your efforts both of you..

Unfortunately neither file is working for me. One gives 44 error messages when I load it, the other 48 errors. Ignoring these, I cannot either move the position of the craters or alter their sizes. Neither can I get a new crater to appear in either file.

The version of Terragen is 4.0.04. Don't know if that is a factor.

Thanks,

Keith

KlausK

The TG version is probably a factor. I am on 4.5.71.
What are the errors you are getting?

Here is another file. It is almost a default start file with craters.
Give it a try. Did you try the crater setup on the default planet at position 0-0-0 ?

I move the craters with a "Transform Input Shader" node set to World Position.

Moving away from the origin is problematic with regards to movement and placement of textures and objects.
As Dune mentioned.

Maybe just recreate the setup from the screenshot to see if that works for you.

CHeers, Klaus
/ ASUS WS Mainboard / Dual XEON E5-2640v3 / 64GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 TI / Win7 Ultimate . . . still (||-:-||)

Dune

They are probably warnings, not errors, which can be ignored. But indeed better update anyway.

saturnapollo

Thanks again guys.

I've attached the list of warnings - not errors - or some of them. As Dune rightly says I tend to ignore them, but there were rather a lot.

I have indeed been able to make craters on Planet 1 (see attached), but not Planet 2. As this particular Planet 2 turned out more by accident than design exactly what I needed, I wanted to retain it for further use and therefore was trying to be able to add craters. I vaguely remember from years ago that there were limitations to Planet 2 but I thought these limitations had been overcome with Terragen 4. I manually transferred all of the parameters (or thought I did) to a new project Planet but it came out nothing like the one I was working on.

I wiil certainly try your latest tgd Klaus and again many thanks for all your efforts.

Keith