A.I. images

Started by René, August 21, 2022, 02:59:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

René

I just had to post these images by Greg Rawson because I think they are awesome. Created with Midjouney.

WAS

Those are absolutely amazing. Love the atmospheric. I always like to play with volumetric like prompts. My Control Room prompt got really popular on DD

Dune

Great stuff. But maybe killing personal creativity? Just clicking a few buttons, setting some basic parameters and let AI fetch you something? I am in doubt, but have to admit some of the stuff out there is really amazing. In future this might be possible in 3D, so one could animate a travel through an AI generetated landscape.....

René

Quote from: WAS on August 22, 2022, 12:03:54 AMThose are absolutely amazing. Love the atmospheric. I always like to play with volumetric like prompts. My Control Room prompt got really popular on DD
That's beautiful Jordan. Where on earth would we be without atmosphere(not on earth probably :P ). Fog and mist can make a scene feel more mysterious and tense. It also makes lighting more dramatic, casting shadows and creating depth.

René

Quote from: Dune on August 22, 2022, 01:54:46 AMGreat stuff. But maybe killing personal creativity? Just clicking a few buttons, setting some basic parameters and let AI fetch you something? I am in doubt, but have to admit some of the stuff out there is really amazing. In future this might be possible in 3D, so one could animate a travel through an AI generetated landscape.....
The debate over creativity, copyright and what it means for professionals such as illustrators, photographers and designers is in full swing. It must be said that at the moment there is more to it than pushing a few buttons; communicating with the A.I. can be quite difficult, and the result is not always what you had in mind. No doubt this will all become much easier in the near future. Perhaps those who are artistically gifted will still surpass others who are not, or analog hand-painted art will be more appreciated.

WAS

Prompt engineering is very much a thing, and it takes some understanding of CLIP interpretation, or use of interrogators and explainers (like this new one for Stable Diffusion I am looking at: https://github.com/JoaoLages/diffusers-interpret)

It's pretty technical when you get into it when you want to get a specific thing reliably across iterations in different styles.

Here is some low step drafts of an anime Ghibli style, which I'm still not happy with

René

Lord have mercy, these things are beyond my grasp!
I tried some Disney stuff, but the results were poor. The intention was to create a scene like you see in 1930s background paintings of movies like Pinocchio and Snow White, in the style of Gustaf Tenggren(see link). Tenggren was the guy responsible for the typical watercolor style of these movies. It may be that my prompt fell short, of course I mentioned the above information, but perhaps Gustaf Tenggren is not as widely known as I assume.

https://one1more2time3.files.wordpress.com/2011/08/snow-white-prince-pan.jpg

René

I just saw that prompts can be purchased. Maybe a good way to get the hang of it.
https://promptbase.com

aknight0

After a few weeks of playing with Midjourney, my overall impression is that it's very easy to get a fantastic-looking image, but often very difficult to get something specific.  If you start with a more abstract concept you can get something great fast, for example this ship in a storm only took a few minutes.  If you have a specific picture in your mind though, it can take dozens and dozens of iterations, and you still only end up with something kind of close to your original idea.  For example, I've been trying to use Midjourney to create illustrations for a book I wrote a while back, and while some of the general landscape scenes came together easily, the majority of the creatures and characters still aren't even close to what I imagine they should be, even after many attempts.  There is art and craft involved, but it's a very different type from traditional art, and will probably continue to evolve with the medium.  

The endless frustrating iteration process kind of reminds me of Terragen actually ;D

PabloMack

Quote from: WAS on August 22, 2022, 12:03:54 AMMy Control Room prompt got really popular on DD
Looks like the power supply was more reliable than the building's structure by orders of magnitude.

WAS

Using CLIP artist reference can help a lot there. Seeing what artists are similar, and have high probability of interpretation. For example Ulco is in RN50 model, but not ViTL14 model from what I can tell by reproduction. 

https://f000.backblazeb2.com/file/clip-artists/index.html