An old man animated

Started by Hannes, August 26, 2022, 04:29:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hannes

I decided to animate my old man scene. What an undertaking!!!
Animating the eyes was the first task. Since Terragen has no binding feature (yet!), I had to place each eye by hand with the pivot set to the centers of them, exactly where they had to be and animate it in TG.
Then I had the idea of somehow animating the face. To do that I made one single object by combining the head and all hair objects, which had 364MB in the end. I then created a few facial expressions as morph targets. I didn't use any fancy stuff like facial rigs. I just pushed around some vertices with a falloff selection. No simple task at all. Far away from perfect, but I was quite happy.

Afterwards I created a point cache animation of this and exported a pc2 file, which I then wanted to convert to an MDD file I can use in TG. That's when it started to get problematic. My first try was a 200 frames animation, which resulted in a 4GB (!) pc2 file I wanted to convert with the free pc2MDD app. This app (which works perfectly when the size of the file isn't too big) refused to do what I want and so I reduced it to a 100 frames animation. Still didn't work. I then decided to "record" only every second frame as a point cache file. So it's a point cache of 50 frames for a 100 frames animation (still 900MB), which makes the animation double speed and half the duration. Not good, but at least pc2MDD converted it. So I decided to render out a 50 frames animation and stretch it to 100 frames in postwork afterwards.
Even with this MDD file and after converting the obj to a tgo my machine and Terragen struggled to render it in one go. A lot of times after a few frames Terragen was still somehow alive, showing the time in the render process, but was stuck. I had to continue a lot of times by hand, until everything was finished. Originally it was rendered in 800 X 450 px, but I used Topaz Labs to make it Full HD.
In After effects I added some chromatic aberration, stretched the animation in time and added some camera movement.

I'm really done now... ;D

Dune

Wow, what an enormous and complex task. But the result is really something!! And even pretty natural. I am again in awe :o

Hannes

Thanks, Ulco! Much appreciated!
Btw, the guy is illuminated by a HDRI and an additional light from behind, because I like glowing ears. ;)

Dune

Hannes

masonspappy

The old guy looks so real that it's creepy... :o

Hannes

zaxxon

That's pretty amazing Hannes!  To do this in TG speaks to your mastery  and your loyalty with the software.  Although (this is a comment, not a criticism :) ) it sort of strikes me as trying to dig a swimming pool with a teaspoon. As an exercise in TG virtuosity you have completely demonstrated why you are one of the premiere TG users here (anywhere else I would think as well).  With so many programs that are more or less designed to provide character creation and animation, why TG?  Perhaps a stupid question, but I am curious. Once again though: great work!!

Hannes

Wow, thanks for your nice comment!!!! Very much appreciated!!
You're absolutely right. If I would have to deliver a character animation shot for a movie, I wouldn't do that in TG, I guess. But it's great fun to see, how far I can get with Terragen, even though there are many things that could be approved.

Hannes

By the way, here is something really weird... ;)

Dune

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D  So cool! Is this mesh displacer? When I read your title (acid), I thought the animation would be of him (his head) lolling in a bottle of acid :P

I very much understand your answer to Doug, btw. Experimenting and having fun in TG rather than pure production in appropriate software can be a personal quest, kind of.

Hannes

Quote from: Dune on August 29, 2022, 01:48:22 AMSo cool! Is this mesh displacer?
Thanks Ulco!! No, all the mesh deformation is done in 3ds MAx. There's an animated Bend modifier, a twist modifier, some morphing and a jiggle modifier. Everything recorded as point cache. This time it was surprisingly fast, since I left out all hairy stuff.

Dune

I see. I wonder what would happen with a mesh deformer in TG, cracking eyes probably....

zaxxon

I get it.  TG has such a rich set of tools to almost re-create any of the 'specialized' applications purposes, and with skills like yours it must pose a true challenge.  As with Ulco's current 'surf' projects and Rene's rock studies (and a few others) the TG Community often performs some mind-boggling examples of what TG can do!

Hannes

Quote from: Dune on August 29, 2022, 06:04:39 AMI see. I wonder what would happen with a mesh deformer in TG, cracking eyes probably....
Maybe worth a try. Of course it's way less controllable.

Quote from: zaxxon on August 29, 2022, 09:22:23 AMI get it.  TG has such a rich set of tools to almost re-create any of the 'specialized' applications purposes, and with skills like yours it must pose a true challenge.  As with Ulco's current 'surf' projects and Rene's rock studies (and a few others) the TG Community often performs some mind-boggling examples of what TG can do!
Thanks again. Yes, it's quite a challenge to try these things. And if what you try hasn't been done before in TG, it's even harder, because you're on your own. Fortunately there are some smart guys here with great ideas.