Stormy ocean

Started by Hannes, September 05, 2022, 11:15:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hannes

From time to time I need to do some ocean water stuff. I dug out one of my older files and tried to improve it, while simplifying it at the same time.
This one is pure procedural. There are two water shaders, but without reflection or transparency. Just for the displacement. Power fractals give more control, but nothing beats the water shader's displacement.

Apart from my ocean foam pattern I was sharing in one of Ulco's threads:
https://planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,30223.msg295081.html#msg295081
(which is procedural as well), I used mainly the intersect underlying feature with different compute terrain nodes (with different patch sizes) to control the foam generation and the distribution of brighter blue and green parts of the water. The latter fake translucency by using a bit luminosity.

As you can see in my setup, it's fairly simple (and quite tidy!! I'm getting better... ;) ). This scene has no GI and no shadows just for speeding up the rendertime (6-7 minutes per frame). Using this setup would require both of course if it would be part of a scene with objects for example.
The good thing with this setup is, that I only need to increase the size of the plane to make it fill the field of view. The surface stays like it is.

Unfortunately the 5MB restriction forced me to compress the clip quite a lot. Maybe the Planetside staff should increase the maximum size. There aren't too many people here posting animations, so, I don't think this would be a problem here.

aknight0

Wow, even better than the last time!

Dune

Awesome! The render speed is pretty good, regarding even 2 compute terrains. I wonder if it would be possible to write a fade-out of topfoam, where it appears as soon as a top reaches a certain altitude (easy), and then as the altitude drops again it lingers and fades or desintegrates. Perhaps by using a get frame number, and adding some blue stuff or numbers (simply stated ::) ).

Hannes

Thanks guys!!
(Actually there are even three compute terrains!! ;) )

Quote from: Dune on September 06, 2022, 01:50:08 AMI wonder if it would be possible to write a fade-out of topfoam, where it appears as soon as a top reaches a certain altitude (easy), and then as the altitude drops again it lingers and fades or desintegrates. Perhaps by using a get frame number, and adding some blue stuff or numbers
That would be great. I did something like that some time ago by rendering out a top view and using frame blending in a comp app. I then used this animated texture and projected it back on top, but I'd love to see some solution right inside TG. Btw, I didn't use height or altitude for the foam distribution, just the angle of stretching faces (at least this is what I think "intersect underlying - favour rises" does).
Nevertheless fading foam would be fantastic and would add a lot to realism. But adding "some blue stuff or numbers" is exactly what I don't get... ;)

D.A. Bentley (SuddenPlanet)

Wow, that looks amazing!  Another thing to learn how to do.  haha!

Derek

WAS

Reminds me of the water near the back of a ferry while it's loading cars. I guess they leave the engines running, or the things constantly sinking and they have massive pumps xD

pixelpusher636

Epic!! This is extremely plausible Hannes. 
The more I use Terragen, the more I realize the world is not so small.