Epic Unreal Engine 5

Started by KlausK, September 29, 2022, 05:45:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KlausK

I thought this discussion about UE might be derailed from the lucbianco farewell thread and opened a new topic.

@Hannes
=====================================================================================================
:o :o :o  out of curiosity, I downloaded the Epic launcher to install the Unreal engine to see what it's all about. That was four hours ago. It's still "installing"!!! Thank god I didnt use my C drive for that. At the moment there are 42GB installed files in the folder, and the installer says "35% done so far". Is this normal????
============================================================================================================================

As far as I know/read there are/were issues with the installer. Did you install via the "Library" tab in the Epic Games Launcher?
Then you should try to open the "Options" and select and then unselect something of the extras.
This seems to help "reset" the installer to the true size in gb to be downloaded and installed sometimes.
I had 16gb to be installed which needed 42gb disc space during installation.
And Quixel Bridge gets installed by default as well.

It was a slow installation process all in all for me.

CHeers, Klaus
/ ASUS WS Mainboard / Dual XEON E5-2640v3 / 64GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 TI / Win7 Ultimate . . . still (||-:-||)

Dune

That is HUGE! I am curious about your finding after install, Hannes..... (if ever) ;)

Hannes

Quote from: KlausK on September 29, 2022, 05:45:20 PMI thought this discussion about UE might be derailed from the lucbianco farewell thread and opened a new topic.
Oh boy, yes, I might have been carried away a bit. Sorry Luc!

Quote from: KlausK on September 29, 2022, 05:45:20 PMDid you install via the "Library" tab in the Epic Games Launcher?
Well, no. I just installed. It did only take another hour or so, and in the end it's a 55GB install. It's OK, I used another HD with plenty of space. If I have enough time, I'll dig through the available tutorials and hopefully learn how to use it.

Dune

Hannes

Oh no!! I'll definitely stay with Terragen!! Even if UE seems to be something very interesting and worth a try, I won't start something new as a replacement, which takes a long time to learn from scratch. 
Even if Terragen could use some major improvements, it's still a fantastic application and hard to beat. 
To me UE is more of an inspiration. 

Dune

Hannes

Funny enough it starts to be annoying, before I ever did something in Unreal engine. I wanted to download and install a project (the most projects are really huge!!!). You can set a location for the project name and location, but  for some reason it's impossible to set a location for all the needed assets. UE always downloads to the documents folder on the C drive. As far as I read there is absolutely no workaround to initially tell UE where all the stuff should be stored. The only thing I could find, was a method to move the projects folder to another location AFTER it has been downloaded. This problem was already mentioned 2014!!!!!! This is absolutely a no go!!! Usually the C drive is meant for system and for crucial program files and is usually smaller than all other drives. How can it be a problem to let the user choose his own directory????

The project I was trying to open looked very interesting (and it's free!!). A city scape scene with a lot of stuff. Unfortunately it's more than 100 GB (!!!!). And even if I set another drive as location for that project, it said there isn't enough space on my C drive for all the assets. This is ridiculous!!!!

Dune

That's quite strange indeed. They might want to use C because it's faster than some distant partition, I don't know their motivation. But that would mean a no-go for me as well; C drive is relatively small.

KlausK

Hi Hannes, naa, that is (Quatsch mit Sosse  :P ) not correct: you can change the Vault Cache (that`s what the download folder is called).

On Win10 it is located in C:/ProgramData/Epic/EpicGamesLauncher/VaultCache/. That`s where it is after installaing UE5.

Start your Epic Games Launcher, go to "Settings" on the down left side of the interface and there you will find:
"Edit Vault Cache Location".

Change it to another HDD and your good to go. Hope that helps.

CHeers, Klaus
/ ASUS WS Mainboard / Dual XEON E5-2640v3 / 64GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 TI / Win7 Ultimate . . . still (||-:-||)

KlausK

btw. are you referring to the City Sample content of The Matrix Awakens: An Unreal Engine 5 Experience ?

Here is a nice video from someone who worked on this back then. It should be obvious why the download is ~90 GB.... ;D

Matrix Awakens - Unreal Engine 5 on Vimeo

https://vimeo.com/698687758

CHeers, Klaus

Hannes

Quote from: KlausK on October 01, 2022, 08:33:26 AMHi Hannes, naa, that is (Quatsch mit Sosse  :P ) not correct: you can change the Vault Cache (that`s what the download folder is called).

On Win10 it is located in C:/ProgramData/Epic/EpicGamesLauncher/VaultCache/. That`s where it is after installaing UE5.

Start your Epic Games Launcher, go to "Settings" on the down left side of the interface and there you will find:

CHeers, Klaus
Woohoooo! That would be nice! I'll check that!

Quote from: KlausK on October 01, 2022, 01:24:48 PMbtw. are you referring to the City Sample content of The Matrix Awakens: An Unreal Engine 5 Experience ?
Yep!

Hannes

Quote from: KlausK on October 01, 2022, 08:33:26 AMStart your Epic Games Launcher, go to "Settings" on the down left side of the interface and there you will find:

Thanks again, Klaus!! Works like a charm. Quite embarrassing, that I didn't find that by myself. But there were lots of people complaining, and I couldn't find any solution. Until now!!! ;)

KlausK

The Vault Cache is "only" there to download assets and store for later use - as far as I understand.
Since you have to specify into which project you download the assets you actually have the same download stored twice on your computer.
First in the VaultCache folder, and second in your project folder (where the sample project gets installed into).
So once downloaded I move the assets from the VaultCache to a third location - off of the computer - when I do not need them in other projects anymore.
That is if I want to keep them.
Those massive sized downloads (sample projects) made me buy yet another hdd just for that...but I guess that`s more effective than to download again.

CHeers, Klaus

aknight0

This is a pretty good tutorial I watched a while back.  Long though!  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-zMkzmduqI&ab_channel=UnrealSensei

KlausK

Glad I could be of help ;)

The "City Sample" also contains a zip archive with hip files for Houdini.
I did not habe the time to look at that. But it should be interesting to see how the city it is put together.

CHeers, Klaus