Mission to Minerva-Digging in the dirt

Started by Hannes, November 16, 2022, 04:54:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dune

They have some magnificent kits anyway. I really dig this one! Not expensive either.

Hannes

Oh yes! Looks crazy (good!). Terragen can handle many large models at once quite good, but these Kitbash kits are really high res, so be prepared that you might be in trouble, if you're planning to make such a rich scene. :)

Dune

I'm afraid I won't, as I don't even have a means to purchase overseas anymore (like paypal or creditcard). But I think if I'd have the models, I would decrease polycount with an appropriate app. There are often a lot of poly's even in flat areas, so likely a lot can be gained.

masonspappy

Quote from: Hannes on November 17, 2022, 05:01:20 AMEditing each and every light in Terragen separately is no fun. Especially when you have a scene with 60 lights (like in my first Minerva attempts, where I tried to put almost all models into the scene.

Amen. Amen. Amen. Last year I tried to make a Christmas tree with ~ 30 Terragen lights. And then animating them so they randomly blinked.  
Grueling process.... >:(

Dune

I guess that would call for a pop of illuminated spheres, and a moving world fractal to have them blink. For fast circumvention of that gruelling process.

Kevin Kipper

Previously in this thread, Hannes brought up some issues that he wished Terragen could handle better, and I suggested that Terragen's Remote Procedure Call (RPC) feature might be a way of addressing some of these items. 

We're happy to announce that we've just posted the first blog introducing the RPC feature.  It's aimed towards non-programmers and artists, and attempts to demystify the programming process by using a very simple example; adding a Landmark object to the active Terragen scene via a program written in the Python programing language.

Click here to take a look.

Future blog posts will explore how to handle programming errors when they occur, as well as a number of practical uses such as modifying the value of a light based on Kelvin temperatures.

Kevin Kipper

We've just published part 2 of our introduction to Terragen's RPC (remote procedure call) feature.  Building upon the code written in part 1, the focus of this blog post is how to deal with errors when they arise.

Click here to take a look.