Enterprise Heading Home !

Started by pclavett, December 06, 2022, 08:54:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pclavett

I am a treky and just love this ship ! The model was found on Blender Swap and comes from Chris Kuhn. The textures were all redone with textures done in Filter Forge and applied in Photoshop so as to respect the original assembly for the UV mapping ! Now that took my almost a month ! The results were nice though and have preciously kept this model, now as a TGO. The image done this time is of BIG D (it is theoretically 642 M long) at real fictional size, the model increased by a factor of 48 at the scale level. I did increase its size to match "real fictional life". This may not have been bright on my part as mild warping has appeared on the nacelles and in any event, there is nothing in space to prevent a smaller version from looking exactly the same. I will eventually learn what can and cannot be done and learn that appearance is the only thing that matters..... and Terragen is not real life ! I will do another render with a smaller version and see if this mild warping resolves ! A luminous sphere was surrounding the Enterprise and soft shadows were done ! Have a great day ! Paul  PS: BTW Starfleet HQ is in San Francisco......and the ship is well heading that way !

Dune

Mahnmut

Hi,
nice one!
I do not understand how a simple scling can result in warping, but if THEY can not cope with a little warp, who can?

pclavett

I have been experimenting and it probably has nothing to do with scaling ! I kept the model as imported and it measures about 15 M. It was half in the ground so inserted about 8M on the y axis to get it out of the ground. I did the render and obtained "AS IMPORTED". It is absolutely better than the scaled model even at the outset. Note that it is at origin except for a small increment in Y. Then I took the model into space by displacing it on Z by a few thousand KM with also a bit of rotation to show the ship a bit better. I obtained "TRANSLATED INTO SPACE AND ROTATION"....... it has started to distort and this, a lot ! More rotation is given and I get even worse, "MORE ROTATION" ! I take the same model back down at origin with the same 8M Y translation, keep the same rotations and obtain "SAME ROTATION BROUGHT DOWN TO ORIGIN". The ship is back to its beautiful self. I wonder whether the shaders have problems when translated by large amounts. The shaders might not be able to follow and dress the model appropriately but even the model seems to have distortion. I will redo the same image as this morning by keeping the model at origin but displace the earth instead.....ans see what happens and how it compares to the one posted earlier !

pclavett

It seems that the problem discussed above is a known issue and no remedy...... so let us move the earth and see what comes out ! The ship was kept at origin and only rotated for look ! The shadows were rather dark in both Standard and RT, no GI in space it seems ! I introduce an invisible complete sphere around the vessel and gave it a light illumination of 0.2 and got just what I wanted. Soft shadows were done as they were too sharp ! The result is below. The vessel is remarkably nicer than the first. You also note that the gold strips have been changed to fictional reality after going on the web to see what the nacelles looked like ! Have a great evening all ! Paul