What is happening to this model ?

Started by pclavett, December 06, 2022, 02:32:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pclavett

Hi all ! I have just posted a problem that I am having with a model that distorts when taken into space...... but problematic for a spaceship ! Wonder if anyone has any idea what is happening here ! The link to that post is : https://planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,30359.0.html

pclavett

SORRY FOR NOT POSTING HERE AT THE OUTSET....WILL SAVE SOME TIME:

I have been experimenting and it probably has nothing to do with scaling ! I kept the model as imported and it measures about 15 M. It was half in the ground so inserted about 8M on the y axis to get it out of the ground. I did the render and obtained "AS IMPORTED". It is absolutely better than the scaled model even at the outset. Note that it is at origin except for a small increment in Y. Then I took the model into space by displacing it on Z by a few thousand KM with also a bit of rotation to show the ship a bit better. I obtained "TRANSLATED INTO SPACE AND ROTATION"....... it has started to distort and this, a lot ! More rotation is given and I get even worse, "MORE ROTATION" ! I take the same model back down at origin with the same 8M Y translation, keep the same rotations and obtain "SAME ROTATION BROUGHT DOWN TO ORIGIN". The ship is back to its beautiful self. I wonder whether the shaders have problems when translated by large amounts. The shaders might not be able to follow and dress the model appropriately but even the model seems to have distortion. I will redo the same image as this morning by keeping the model at origin but displace the earth instead.....ans see what happens and how it compares to the one posted earlier !

Hannes

Actually this is a known issue. If your model is quite far away from the origin (0,0,0) it will be somehow distorted and eventually look like a Lego model. So far there is no fix for that.
The only workaround is to place the model near the origin and move away the planet or render both separately.

pclavett

Thanks for the information Hannes ! It certainly looked like getting away from the origin was the issue but wondered whether there was a fix. I do not know all the buttons yet ! The larger model was distorting less when in space (but still did) and therefore size may lessen that effect, albeit not remove it ! I was able to move the planet way and render a beautiful version with 0 distortion as I kept the model at origin and just rotate it in the various axis. BTW PLANET 1 does not produce handle to move it and therefore had to move it numerically in the coordinate slots. I am glad that I learned about this distortion issue before taking that vessel in deep space ! Take care ! Paul

pclavett

Forgot to display the results....

Hannes